Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Grand Caravan anti-theft has me locked out

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:23 PM
TheKid72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Grand Caravan anti-theft has me locked out

I have a 2002 Grand Caravan that was at one time a rental unit (it is a drop-floor wheelchair van). The handicap store had the SKIM disabled (unplugged) and it was switched over to black non-RFID keys. The van does have remote entry fobs. While I have noticed a hood switch, I am not aware of this van having a full alarm system.

The problem... while re-installing a new turn signal assembly, I saw the loose connection to the SKIM and plugged it in. (I assumed I pulled it by accident) WRONG THING TO DO! It started 3 times briefly with a red indicator flashing on the dash - and that was it. It has never run since - turn the key, and that danged red dot comes on and nothing else.

I have disconnected the battery, waited 24 hours, waited 48 hours, locked/unlocked the drivers door and the passenger door with the key. I have locked/unlocked via remote using both remote fobs, said three hail Mary's, clicked my heels together and more things I can't think of - it's dead in the driveway.

I hope there is something outside of having it towed to the dealer... money is really tight. Thankfully it's a second vehicle.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, when you plugged in the SKIM module, it is now operational and you need skim keys programmed to it to get it to start. Why would they just unplug it and leave it there, that's kinda stupid.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:19 PM
TheKid72

Thank you for your quick reply!

Indeed I wish they would have wrapped the connector with tape!

Is it possible to repeat the process that was previously done - that is, remove the need for a chipped key? The SKIM is unplugged again (and taped!) but the van still "thinks" it has been stolen.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

Actually, you'd have to ask whoever did it what they did. I know of no way to do it besides replacing the PCM. The skim works between the 2 modules so if the PCM knows you have skim, it needs to see an ok signal to start the vehicle. Basically, you'll have to plug the skim module in, and have a key programmed to it. That's probably the cheapest way.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:21 AM
TheKid72

I have an update, and I'd sure like some help with this mess.

I had a good locksmith come out and make a transponder key for the van. He called the dealership and was given a code for that vehicle. It did not work - he received a programming error message.

The van has been towed to the dealer, and is there now. I have been informed that this van never had a SKIM, and they are assuming the steering column is from another vehicle. (?!). They have also informed me that the vehicle is a salvage rebuild - basically mystery meat.

Now I know otherwise on the last part. The vehicle has been modified for the drop floor/rear access wheelchair, which is why it has been titled as a rebuilt vehicle. The vehicle history is clean - shows no accidents, no less an insurance loss/salvage anything... just that it was rebuilt in 2006 into a handicap vehicle.

Doesn't a 2002 GC have a SKIM from the factory?

My take is that at some point, the BCM was re-programmed and someone elected to remove the need for transponder keys by not plugging in the SKIM... thus the BCM did not know there was a SKIM and life was wonderful. When I plugged in the SKIM - the BCM discovered the SKIM, learned it, and now needs a transponder key.

I am right on my assumption? (which I've gathered from the research I've done)

Either the van has become a major nightmare, or there is an issue at the service department. Advice please?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

Skim is between the Skim module and the PCM. BCM runs the vtss which is a totally different system. If the key program code is invalid for the skim module you have, you will have to replace the skim module. If you PM me your vin, I can let you know if your vehicle was originally equipped with the skim system.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Amery

Hi buddy You seem to have a computer so you can still text or skype a locksmith or a tow truck driver, they usually have a tool kit to open a cars door, don't attempt it yourself, you can easily damage the car.

---------------
locksmith brooklyn

Last edited by Amery; 07-30-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

?? See post 5, lock smith called and towed to dealer.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:15 AM
TheKid72

Tizzy1 has been lending me a hand via private message, and I'll thank him again here on the boards.

Update on the van. It's back in my driveway... it was towed in. The dealer service department has found that the BCM and PCM/ECM are corrupt and need to be replaced. Their repair charges would be around $2300, and they know it can be done for less with some legwork on my end.

So now I am debating if I should invest in an exchange ECM and and BCM, or just sell it as-is. Being a handicap vehicle (drop floor wheelchair van - rear entry) it still has value to it as someone who could fix it could flip it for good money.

UGH!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

I guess I'm still confused on the BCM issue. I don't see how installing a skim module in a vehicle would do anything to the BCM. Plenty of vehicle's out there with skim that don't have vtss

Quick Reply: 2002 Grand Caravan anti-theft has me locked out