Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Location Location Location

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:26 AM
WillLuff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location Location Location

Hi all. I need to know where to find the PCM, the camshaft sensor, and the crankshaft sensor on a 2002 caravan. 3.3 liter engine. This thing has really been testing my patience and I only have limited time to work on it due to my real job. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm getting codes P0340, P1282, and P1495. I would also like to know if there is any way to test these things with a multimeter or something like that. Thanks. It's great to be able to come somewhere like this for help. I'm hoping it's not the flex plate.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cam sensor is on the front cover on the passenger side of the engine

The crankshaft position sensor is on the rear of the bellhousing of the transmission, it reads off of the flex plate. The PCM is right in front of the battery.

Code P0340 = no cam signal at the PCM
Code P1282 = fuel pump relay control circuit
Code P1495 = Leak detection pump solinoid circuit

What type of issues are you having? Just the light on or are you having running issues.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:16 PM
WillLuff

Thanks for replying to my questions. First when I got the van it was just bucking. It felt as if the tranny was switching gears. I had it to a mechanic and he says the tranny is fine. The tranny changes gears perfectly when the bucking is not present. He says if it was a tranny problem it would be there at all times. I have replaced the TCM and the output speed sensor. I have replaced the fuse box because it was coroded up big time. The bucking is still there but now I am getting code P0340 and the van won't start at all. I have been doing some research and from what I can gather I should have a look at the cam sensor and the crank sensor. Maybe chase the wires back to their origin to see if any are coroded and if they aren't I may have to replace the sensors. Do you think these sensors could be causing the bucking? Thanks again. I really need some help on this. I had the van to the dodge dealership and they hooked it up to the code reader. They told me it would cost me 500 to 600 bucks just to find out what is wrong with it. And then it would cost more to fix the problem. On top of that they charged me 100 bucks to tell me they didn't know what the problem was. The van runs perfectly when it is bucking and when it will start. You can drive it for a half hour and it runs like a new vehicle.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Deffinitly the cam sensor could be causing the bucking issue. It uses them to determine when to fire the coils and injectors. Could be a bad sensor or a wire could be rubbing through and shorting out causing it to lose it's signal.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:43 PM
WillLuff

Thanks a lot. I'll give it a look and see what happens. I'll post back so you and everyone else can see the outcome. You never know... someone else might be having the same problem. I'm no mechanic, so I won't be able to help out much with answering peoples question. The least I can do is say wether or not this is my problem.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 AM
cyrusMD

Is there an easy way to get to the bolt holding the cam sensor in place. I got the error code for the cam sensor and was able to see it, but there doesn't seem to be enough place to get the bolt out comfortably. I removed the air filter housing to see the sensor. Do I need to remove anything else to get access to the bolt?

TIA

Old 05-26-2011, 06:45 PM
WillLuff

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I have, however, looked at a few videos online of people removing/replacing them on different vehicles. It appears that these are troublesome to remove on just about every vehicle. I'm thinking I'll be using the 1/4 inch ratchet with a small socket. Hopefully that will work.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:33 AM
cyrusMD

was able to get the bolt out, but when i tried to move the sensor away from the engine, the back part broke (sensor and wire are intact). Tried to few things to turn it a bit to no avail. Am at my wits end how to get it out.

Quick Reply: Location Location Location