Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Slight Shimmy in my 01 Grand Caravan Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:44 AM
thaddy1978
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight Shimmy in my 01 Grand Caravan Sport

The shimmy isn't really noticed when at slower speeds, however at highway speeds it is very noticeable...not like the van is going to fall apart or anything, but noticeable. As soon as I take my foot off the gas the shimmy goes away. Any ideas?

Side note: I do have a CEL on and had it checked out at autozone, they said the van was not showing any codes, however. I simply wanted to check to see if there were any new code, as there is almost always the one about the evap system that I have yet to identify or care to fix, as I have read it is not a big ieal.

And on another note...as I am thinking about it and totally unrelated, my temperature gauge doesn't move. What gives? or doesn't gives for that matter?

Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First try and rotate the tires and see if the vibration goes away, and check the outer tie rod ends when it's in the air, they go bad quite often.

Coolant full? Once the coolant gets off the sender, the gauge doesn't move.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 PM
SimTech1
Amateur

I agree with Tizzy1 rotate the tires and see if the problem moves or goes away. I had a similar problem on a Saturn that I have, when I rotated the tires the problem moved, at the next rotation I noticed that there was something "rattling around in the tire" don't know if it was a valve stem left in there or a weight or what but by then it was time for new tires. After the new tires were on the no vibration and no tire had a rattle in them.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:28 PM
thaddy1978
Rookie

Wouldn't the shimmy still be there though when I take my foot off the gas if it were a tire problem? Either way, we'll see if this works...two front tires are rated at 51 max PSI, they were at 25. My bad! Back tires were something around 45 max PSI and were sitting at 25 as well. I pumped them up to 45 and 40. Will be driving highway this Friday, I'll see if that takes care of the problem.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:37 PM
tapd117
Default Dodge Shimmy Issues

See my post, I think you might have issues with warped rotors on your front brakes;

GG

Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 AM
thaddy1978
Rookie

Originally Posted by tapd117
See my post, I think you might have issues with warped rotors on your front brakes;

GG

Oh, I know without a doubt that I have THAT problem. But generally that only manifests itself when braking. The Shimmy comes when accelerating and goes away when I take my foot off the gas. Rattles like hell when I apply the brake at highway speeds.

Quick Reply: Slight Shimmy in my 01 Grand Caravan Sport