Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

caravan backfires, misfires and dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:40 AM
dubucp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caravan backfires, misfires and dies

I just used my 95 caravan stopped at home for ten minutes went to start the car and the engine started then backfired, misfired for a few minutes then died. Now that is all it will do when I try to start it. What would cause this to happen so suddenly?

Old 06-14-2011, 01:32 PM
mirageman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

need to look up any codes your computer may have. since you're 1995, you cannot get the codes at autozone, there is a way to do it manually. I believe you have to put the key in the ignition, turn it to on(not start), off, on, off, and then on. then watch the check engine light. it should blink x times letting you know the first number of the code, then x times for the second. google "checking codes 1995 caravan" for the proper procedure to get codes. you have either electrical or gas issues or both. codes will help pinpoint what is going on. backfiring is usually caused by lean condition (not enough gas). you may just need to change your spark plug cables, spark plugs or both. if it's time for a tune up anyway, see if that will help. hopefully it is not a coil issue.

Quick Reply: caravan backfires, misfires and dies