Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Steering noise...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Atrious
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering noise...

I just bought my 2003 Caravan 3.3 L Sport a month ago. It was a great price. I noticed that there was a "Clunk" during steering changes. So today I jacked it up to see if it was a tie rod. During inspection I turned on the car and turned the wheel. At that moment power steering fluid poured from the reservoir at what appeared to be between the clear part and black part. Not for sure, but I assume I need a new reservoir.
Could this "thump" be from a bad power steering pump? I examined the tie rods and they don't appear to be broke or loose. I checked the power steering fluid and it remains full. I went to pull it out of the garage and now when I turn the wheel (even slightly) there is a major vibration. I parked it in the driveway and didn't drive it any further, so I don't know if the vibration is temporary. I will check to see if it still leaks but it didn't after I started the vehicle. Yes I know I messed up turning the wheel while the vehicle is not started. Is this the ALL from the power steering pump or is this unrelated to the thumping during steering direction changes?

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:31 PM
scotter5
Veteran

I was putting tie rods in a van last week, and the power steering spread a leak in the hose. Just happened to occur at the time, not special relationship for me.

Curious and my lack of knowledge--Why is it bad to turn steering wheel with car off?

Do you recall? did you have clunks when you drove over uneven road conditons, i.e pot holes, drain covers but no clunk when going over speed bumps when there is constant pressure on some suspension parts?

Old 06-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The thumping is unrelated to the fluid issue. Transition noise is usually caused by worn sway bar bushings but could also be the sway bar links. Start with the bushings because they are very inexpensive. The vibration when steering after the fluid leak is caused by air being introduced into the system. Steering shudder is also very common in these vans. I apply a vacumn into the system to remove the air and usually most of the vibration.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Atrious

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I will look into the bushings asap. Now I just need to take care of the air issue.

I'm not really sure why you shouldn't turn the wheels with the car off except that's what I have been told. It may be due to the fact it puts flat spots on the tires. That's the extent I know.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do it all the time, I guess shame on me

Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Atrious
Red face

Nah, I'm probably just ignorant on the subject.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Atrious
Default Update

I inspected all bushings on sway bar and control arms. Didn't find significant wear or tear. So I took it to someone to diagnose and they stated the Strut plate was broken. Ordered new quick struts and will update you. In the meantime, the steering still makes a whine but it's not as bad. Haven't had any fluid leak since I drained it to normal level.

Quick Reply: Steering noise...