Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

OBDII Reader

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:09 PM
HuffmanFamilyof4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDII Reader

I bought a brand new OBDII reader and it's the CanOBD2+ABS Diagnostic Tool. it can read the transmission computer, and I was wondering if it could read the odometer. the reason I need to know is the light for my odometer went out(digital) and was told it would be expensive to fix it. I don't know how many miles are on it in case I want to sell it. if not is there anyway to find out

I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.0 14in wheels

Last edited by HuffmanFamilyof4; 06-29-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be clear your odo display is blank and all other instrument panel and overhead console displays are good correct?

The odo display is a function of the Body Control Module (BCM), transmission Control Module(TCM), instrument cluster and data bus. You can try resetting them by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 2-3 minutes.

If your scanner can read communication codes (U prfixed) you may find a clue. Other than that the scanners Chrysler uses can reset the mileage figuire stored in the BCM. Their scanner may be able to tell you where to go. BCMs can be had for as little as $250 off the net. Cheaper at a wreckers yard. I've seen instrument clusters for as little as $40 on Ebay. If it comes to it I can link you to a slide show showing you how to remove the cluster.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:02 PM
gentz
Professional

If the scanner shows complete data pids then it should be able to tell you the miles, if its a generic code reader im afraid it will not tell you the mileage...

Old 06-29-2011, 09:51 PM
HuffmanFamilyof4
Rookie

yes. everything else works fine it's the odom that went out

Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 PM
gentz
Professional

It seems your IP is bad. atleast the odometer portion...

Quick Reply: OBDII Reader