Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 GC A/C and controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:45 PM
BlaineM
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 GC A/C and controls

1996 GC 3.8L I believe it has dual A/C system.

I've had this van since Jan. The A/C has not worked since I got it. Today I put a couple cans of r134a into the low pressure side and the now there is coolish air blowing from the passenger dash vents but warm air blowing from the driver side vents. I did a calibration/diagnostic at the control panel and it passed, but I am still getting warm air on the driver side when both slides are adjusted to max cold. Sliding the temp lever for both zones to heat gives heat.

Before I begin to tear things apart is there something specific I should be looking at.

Last edited by BlaineM; 07-21-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either a bad passenger side blend motor or a bad blend door.

Read the post below

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...passenger-side

Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 AM
BlaineM
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rick, Thanks for the response. However, the passenger side seems to be working ok.

It is the driver side that doesn't give cool air. Does that mean it is the driver side blend door shaft or actuator that is troublesome? The passenger side zone gives cool to hot air but the driver side gives only ambient outside temp air when the control is set to the coldest. Driver side gives hot air when set to the hottest. Seems like the driver side blend door is moving but not enough to tap into the stream of refridgerated air. Do those two blend doors function independently of each other? Why didn't the calibration/diagnostic test fail and give a code?

I am a repair-before-you-replace kind of guy. Are the blend doors/actuators serviceble?

I have a Chrysler Corp interactive service manual.

Oh, one other question. This is one of the hottest days for this region in recorded history. Should I spend the day following your advise (ripping the innards out of the dash), or should I take my boat and dog to the lake and have a nice swim? "Great power gives great responsibility"

Quick Reply: 1996 GC A/C and controls