Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1995 Grand Caravan Headrest Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:25 PM
onlydave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Grand Caravan Headrest Removal

I am desperately trying to figure out how to remove the front headrest in a 1995 Grand Caravan that has no release latch. I am almost at the point of tearing off the seat cover and have actually ripped it some where it surrounds the headrest, all to no avail. I can find no information that pertains to this configuration on the net and need to get it removed as I am unfortunately forced to sleep in it at the present time. I am a homeless veteran and this headrest has caused a pinched nerve that has made my left arm absolutely useless for almost 2 weeks. I would greatly appreciate any instruction on this procedure and would be happy if someone could also e-mail it to me @ onlydave@bigfoot.com. Thank you very much for your time. Please Help!

Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can type the service manual removal proceedure. They are a pain to remove even when you know how. The flat bar from the headrest goes down into the seat and there is a thin rectangular hole in the bottom of the bar that a spring clip catches in to keep it from coming out. You need to slide a piece of metal strap down the front side and get it under the clip so it can't get into the hole when you pull up on the headrest.

(1) Fabricate a tool from 25mm (1") steel shipping band stock 6 cm (24") long.
(2) Lift head restraint to the highest position
(3) Insert end of tool between the bar and sleeve at the front of the head restraint. Push tool in until it comes to a solid stop.
(4) Push dwonward on head restraint allowing the tool to travel with the bar
(5) Hold tool downward and pull upward on head restraint. If head restraint stops, the tool was not inserted far enough.
(6) Separate head restraint from seat back

Old 08-31-2011, 03:41 PM
onlydave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! That sounds easy enough. I used to work as a warranty mechanic for Chrysler Nu Car Prep years ago, so that should be easy enough for me. Thanks, you just made my life so much more comfortable. Thanks again.

Dave

Quick Reply: 1995 Grand Caravan Headrest Removal