Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

power window problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 02:37 PM
zinndl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power window problems

Have a 2002 grand caravan. recently the driverside window has been stalling when i raise it. it just stops and wont go up or down then i wait a couple minutes and try again and it will work. it seems to be occuring more frequently.
would it be the window regulator or the motor that is the problem?
thanks for the help!

Old 09-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A trick in the mean time. Open the door, hold the switch up or down then slam the door shut. Good chance it will come alive.

The motor is usually the problem but it wouldn't hurt to clean and lube the window tracks before dolling out the cash. The motor has a thermal circuit breaker in it that trips if the motor gets too hot. Once it cools it closes and you get your motor back until it overheats again. If the window it binding in the tracks it could trip the circuit breaker.

That said, odds are you'll end up changing the window regulator assembly. The regulator is the mechanics meaning the window tracks and cable system. The motor is attached making it one assembly. You can change just the motor. For that matter you can change just the brushes in the motor (the real problem). Changing the whole assembly is much easier and they can be had for as little as $30.

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-04-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:34 PM
zinndl
Default Thanks Cougar!

I will try to clean and lube the tracks first, hopefully that will work. i priced the motor and regulator (they were seperate items) at a national parts store and the motor was 60 and the regulator was over 80 dollars. i will post the results. Thanks again for the help!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:12 AM
tapd117

I had this problem on my 2003 Dodge Sport and one day the window just dropped on the driver side. I took it to a glass shop and they replaced the whole assembly. The glass shop said they do not sell the unit in parts. It has been my experience with my van to go ahead and address these type of situations as this appears to be a problem with the window regulator assembly and is not an expensive repair.

It will be a real pain when it fails and the window is down and it is raining.......

Last edited by tapd117; 09-05-2011 at 07:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 PM
zinndl

thanks all for the help. it was the motor, not the regulator. it was an easy fix with one exception which could have been avoided. the regulator cables are wound in opposite directions on a black spool. the spool is contained in a white teflon type of sleeve which seats onto the motor and over the drive lug. when you remove the sleeve and spool from the motor be sure that the cable spool stays put in the sleeve, its no fun trying to re wrap the cables and put the thing back together.

Quick Reply: power window problems