Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:51 AM
bullheadpond
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil Question

I had my oil changed at the dealer 3 months ago. I usually check it after they change it but this time i did. not as things have been very hecktic lately. i put about 4500 miles on the van since then. Yesterday when i was going home every time i hit the brake hard the oil light would come on for like a second and go off after the van completely stopped. . ( NOT THE CHANGE OIL LIGHT). the van drove and sounded fine no knocking or not even any ticking sounds.
I checked the oil and it was 2 quarts low. I don't see any oil spots in our new fairly new driveway and there does not appear to be any oil leaking on the engine that i can see .
IS it possible that the dealer didn't put enough oil in it when they changed it which may have cause it to burn oil until the oil light came on. I can't imagine where 2 quarts of oil could have gone? Have never had this happen before and it doesn't seem to burn blue smoke ether.
The light has not come on since i added the oil.
AND i know i should have checked the oil much sooner and i usually do it every month but like i said it was hectic for awhile so please don't send critisizing responses.
2008 grand caravan 6 cyl. 60k miles
Any thoughts?
THanks

Old 09-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say it is more likely that it may be using the oil, probably time for a pcv valve. Now that it is full, keep an eye on it and see if it keeps going down.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:27 AM
22mopar22
Banned

I think you need to change your oil and monitor on a regular basis.

instead looking for someone to blame, verify first.

of course the light won't come on since you added oil, it's now full and that solved the low oil problem.

now the next course of action is to change the oil, immediately confirm the level and monitor level over the course of this oil change

when I started driving, it was common place to check your oil on every fillup. now, it seems, most people don't even know how to open the hood.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:09 AM
bullheadpond
Rookie

Originally Posted by 22mopar22
I think you need to change your oil and monitor on a regular basis.

instead looking for someone to blame, verify first.

of course the light won't come on since you added oil, it's now full and that solved the low oil problem.

now the next course of action is to change the oil, immediately confirm the level and monitor level over the course of this oil change

when I started driving, it was common place to check your oil on every fillup. now, it seems, most people don't even know how to open the hood.
"AND i know i should have checked the oil much sooner and i usually do it
every month but like i said it was hectic for awhile so please don't send criticizing responses."
It wasn't a blame thing i was just trying to figure out what might have happened. I guess some people don't know how to read anymore ether. At least Tizzy offers advise without being a jerk.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:11 AM
bullheadpond
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
I would say it is more likely that it may be using the oil, probably time for a pcv valve. Now that it is full, keep an eye on it and see if it keeps going down.
Thank you Tizzy.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

yep, not a problem

Old 09-08-2011, 12:18 PM
SRoberts006

I have an '07 Grand Caravan, and notice the same problem. I change the oil myself, and after usually a month, it needs oil added. And I'm talking almost a quart. No leaks on brand new driveway. No signs of oil underneath the car. It's like it just disappears! So Tizzy you think I should replace the PCV?

And to add, I check it every week. And at about the month mark, it seems to take a quart to top it all off.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:24 PM
22mopar22
Banned

well, some engines just consume oil. there's a lot of posts on here over the years when short blocks were put in under warranty.

sure it's possible the dealer didn't put in enough oil, it's possible you are developing bad rings, maybe the cylinder walls are scored, could be a bad pcv system (valve air inlet) could be bad valve seals or worn valve guides

Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

3.3 / 3.8's like to use oil when the PCV valve's start to go bad. It is a good place to start.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:23 AM
bullheadpond
Rookie
Default Tizzy

Do you have a diagram showing where the pcv valve is located on my 2008 grand caravan sxt 3.6? I can't seem to find one on it and i went up to auto zone last night and they said there isn't one on these vans? Could it be a dealer only part?

Quick Reply: oil Question