Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'96 3.8, sudden no fuel condition

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 AM
mustafu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 3.8, sudden no fuel condition

Hello,

1996 GC ES, 3.8, 201,000 miles

My van's been running like a champ mostly for the last month since I bought it, but after returning from a long trip, a few hours later, it won't start. This is what I know so far:

-Runs on starting fluid for a few seconds, then dies
-Fuel pump underhood relay and fuse seem to be ok
-There's no fuel at the rail after cranking (depressed valve at the rail after cranking, no fuel came out)

Is there anything else I can look at it, or am I looking at a new fuel pump? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:16 PM
ez1913
Professional

What it could be...

Bad wire on connection to or at the fuel pump.
Plugged fuel filter.
Pressure regulator failed.
Dead fuel pump.

Looks like either way, you are dropping the fuel tank.
It's not that hard when it's empty.
AutoZone shows the pump assy. for my '96 3.3 lt, (should be the same as your's) for $128.

Good Luck,
EZ1

Old 09-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you drop the tank, you may want to consider the engine management system. If your PCM isn't getting a valid crank or camshaft sensor signal when you crank the engine, it will continue to crank all day without starting. If that signal is missing, the PCM cuts power to the ignition coil, O2 sensors, fuel injectors and the fuel pump. These sensors often fail without turn on the CE light or throwing a code. If you're getting spark and the injectors are clicking, your fuel pump is back on the list.

A quick way to test the pump? Remove the fuel pump relay. Jumper contacts #30 and #87 together on the relay socket. The pump should turn on. If it doesn't either you have a bad pump or the power or ground wire to the pump are open or the 20 amp fuel pump fuse is blown.

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-13-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 AM
mustafu

Thanks for taking the time to help me out everyone. I was able to use your tips to narrow it down to the pump. I'm replacing the pump and fuel filter today, will let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Quick Reply: '96 3.8, sudden no fuel condition