Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Flickering Oil Pressure Light 3.8L

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
67L30WGN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flickering Oil Pressure Light 3.8L

Problem: Oil pressure light is flickering when stopped at a light or stop sign when warm (after about 20 minutes of driving). As soon as raise RPM's oil light goes out.

Background: 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES AWD with 182K miles and without a rebuild. Owned since new. Always maintained and oil changed religiously. Burns no oil. Minimum oil pressure is 11-15 psi (min spec is 5 psi). Max is 70-80 psi when cold. Have tested oil pressure with two separate guages - both within 1-2 psi reading. Have tried two new sending units in case one faulty to no avail. Have tried thicker oil (along with new filter) to no avail.

Thoughts/Questions:
  • Am going to try to bump idle speed 50-100 rpm, but am worried this doesn't fix the root problem. Presently idling at 675 rpm.
  • Since oil pressure is well within spec, I am thinking the engine and oil pump are fine, but could I be wrong?
  • Would a stuck oil pressure relief valve still give me such good oil pressure readings while creating low oil pressure at the sending unit?
  • If it is a stuck pressure relief valve, doesn't that essentially involve the same access/repair as an oil pump i.e. removal of timing cover, etc.?
  • Is it possible the oil pickup is partially clogged? How involved/expensive would this be to check and clean?
  • What would be your next move?
Note: I've read other threads on this flickering oil light problem, but none seem to fit my exact scenario, or no resolution was noted. Hope you can help me. I love my GC.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, the pan is easy enough to remove. It might make sense to go ahead and take a look. Dont try and mess with your idle speed. You'll just make more problems.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-13-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Flickering Oil Pressure Light 3.8L