Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 Dodge Caravan NEED HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 05:48 PM
KatieL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Dodge Caravan NEED HELP ASAP

I was driving last Friday and the van completely died. RPMS shot down as well as everything else. I pulled it to the side, shut it off and it wouldn't start again. It was a bad alternator, we replaced the alternator and now it still won't start. Should I replace the battery as well as the spark plugs? I'm a novice trying to get my van to just run for a couple of weeks before I can get a new vehicle. The guy who is working on it says that the engine is flooded from them trying to crank it over to many times. Is this another reason why it won't start???

NEED HELP ASAP

Old 10-14-2011, 02:32 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There could be many reasons why it won't start. First, which of these is your situation?

Won't crank/rotate = when you turn the key to start nothing happens or you just hear a click.
Won't start = You turn the key to start, the engine cranks but won't continue to run when you release the key.

We need more info. Do you in fact have a no start problem? Which engine do you have? Any maintenance done just prior to this happening?

Here's two basic steps. > If you have a no crank problem try jump starting the battery using jumper cables and another car. If it starts, you either have a weak battery or the battery connections could be corroded or loose. You could also tap on the starter as you crank the engine. If that makes it start, you'll need a new starter. > If you have a no start problem determine if you're getting fuel to the engine and spark to the spark plugs. You could have a bad fuel pump, ignition coil, engine computer (PCM) or any one of several other components. Above all, troubleshoot it. Don't just throw parts and money at it.

Last edited by Cougar41; 10-14-2011 at 02:47 AM.

Quick Reply: 96 Dodge Caravan NEED HELP ASAP