Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Caravan, occasional stalling and rough riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 PM
tpf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday I took it back to the mechanic. So they tell me my EGR is fine. Two previous mechanics cleaned the throttle body and idle speed motor. Still no codes They said also my battery load was low. So I got a new battery and also had them change the IAC as that was their best guess. So that was yesterday, and today it stalled again. Just like the past. No warning, just cuts out, was going to an intersection, and looked down and saw it was off/stalled. Oh, and someone else told me if it were the fuel pump it would be difficulty to start after stalling, I am not sure if that's true, but it starts up immediately. Any other ideas?? Thanks again for the previous suggestions.

Last edited by tpf; 06-20-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:26 PM
tpf

I had to take it back again--now on top of the other issues sounds like an airplane taking off from the engine- shifts hard now frequently and still stalls at times when slowing down to a light. Any ideas? They are thinking cat. Converter or fuel pump. Also still no codes.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:59 AM
tpf

I changed the alternator too but months later its still doing the same thing. Other ideas??

Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 PM
sportscars

Sounds like the shift solenoid to me but that should throw a code. That is exactly what my Dakota does - that and shift out of OD at speed.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:29 AM
coolrunnin

hey everyone hope ur all doin arite,,i've got same rough ridin,bogging and dying at stoplights..i have changed plugs wires checked for leaks..any help would be astoundingly appreciated...bless all

Old 06-14-2013, 11:53 AM
tpf
Default Summer Gas??

I am the original poster.. It seems my 2003 Caravan does not like the summer. It was behaving all fall, winter, and spring. Now that it's warm out, it's up to its old tricks.. hesitanting, stalling, shifting challenges (rough shifting) just like before. I am starting to wonder if it's the summer gas. Early in the posts I noted all the parts changed, alternator, sensors, throttle body cleaning.. etc. Could it be summer gas? If so, any thing I could to add to the gas to make the car happier? Thanks!!

Last edited by tpf; 06-14-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:37 PM
tedthecommish
Default same issue with 2008 caravan

I took it into the dealer (I have a lifetime warranty). The tech recreated the issue. I'll post whatever they say when they call me back

Old 06-14-2013, 09:04 PM
tpf

tedthecommish I'd love to hear what the dealer said. I am getting nervous since I am about to take my girl scout troop on a road trip and can't really have the car stalling out. To review, it seems to be a summer issue. I had not "fixed" it, and the fall, winter and spring it's been fine. In the past I changed the battery, alternator, IAC. I also had the throttle body cleaned and the EGR checked. Now, looking through various other people's posts it looks like it could be "cam sensor, crank shaft position sensor, ignition coil, fuel pump relay or shift selenoid". Since I know nothing about this stuff, anyone have a feeling it could or could NOT be one of these.. I'd love some direction Thanks so much!!

Old 06-15-2013, 12:51 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tpf
tedthecommish I'd love to hear what the dealer said. I am getting nervous since I am about to take my girl scout troop on a road trip and can't really have the car stalling out. To review, it seems to be a summer issue. I had not "fixed" it, and the fall, winter and spring it's been fine. In the past I changed the battery, alternator, IAC. I also had the throttle body cleaned and the EGR checked. Now, looking through various other people's posts it looks like it could be "cam sensor, crank shaft position sensor, ignition coil, fuel pump relay or shift selenoid". Since I know nothing about this stuff, anyone have a feeling it could or could NOT be one of these.. I'd love some direction Thanks so much!!

He has a 2008, completely different car.

Since you say it is a clean cut out, then it can't be fuel pump. Because it would start choking for few second before it dies.

It shouldn't be an EGR Valve either, because you said it died while moving, EGR valve usually only cause die out at idle.

Ignition coil usually cause Mis-fire instead of a clean cut die out.

I would probably throw in a Crank sensor and a Cam sensor. They are fairly common on these vans.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:26 AM
tpf

Thanks so much Steak59!

Quick Reply: 2003 Caravan, occasional stalling and rough riding