Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

3.0L intermittent stalling - has me stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:56 AM
96bigblue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about your issue but since I changed the camshaft sensor my hasn't stalled once. Good luck

Old 12-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Bob356

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't heard any noise from the bellhousing area, but I'll try to take a closer look at the flex plate.

BigBlue, my van has the 3.0L with the cam sensor inside the distributor - not sure if I have to replace the entire distributor or if I can change the sensor only, and how difficult it would be?

Old 12-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Bob356

Just wanted to tie this one off. It was indeed the Cam Sensor. Had to replace the entire distributor but the van runs great now (maybe too good - seems the tranny is slipping a bit but I didn't notice it before because I thought it was part of the engine issue

So I'm still trying to wrap my head around this: The cam sensor gave no code, but was still sending a signal, it was just wrong. I think the PCM uses the signal to determine injector timing, so the cylinders would get get fuel at the wrong time. I guess it stalled on acceleration from idle and coasting because it was fuel starved when I opened up the throttle?

The other thing is, even without a code, with my scanner I could figure out if just about every other component was sending a reasonable signal (TPS-%, MAP-mmHg, O2-v, Crank sensor-rpm, etc). But I still can't see any way to tell if the Cam sensor is sending a flaky signal - all I saw was fuel trims being out, etc. I just replaced it because I was out of ideas and others on the board had luck replacing theirs. Is there any way to analyze the cam sensor signal using a scanner?

Quick Reply: 3.0L intermittent stalling - has me stumped!