Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

A must have tool....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:56 AM
SimTech1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A must have tool....

This has probably been posted before, but since I've used this site a few times and have gotten some great info for doing repairs on my '06 CG SXT I thought I'd try to post some info to help others.

First let me thank Tizzy1 and MasterTech who have a wealth of info as well as others on this site!!

The must have tool is the belt tensioner tool or serpentine belt tool. All it is, is a steel bar with a 3/8" or 1/2" adapter on it to fit into the hole on the tensioner. I found out the hard way that a ratchet to a breaker bar DOES NOT FIT between the frame and the tensioner. This tool only cost about 15-20 bucks at Harbor Freight. I know what a lot of you are thinking, "I only by Craftmans/Kobalt/Snap-On /S&K tools" well that what I think too but when you need a tool that you are going to use just a few times(and save you time!) and don't always have the $$$$ to spend on the name brands then the "Cheap Chinese Tool Place" as I call Harbor Freight is the way to go. You can also rent the same tool from Autozone also.

Also, if your tensioner is like mine, and doesn't have the "nipple" on the end so you can put a 9/16" wrench, this is a must have.

Last edited by SimTech1; 12-04-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ground down a 15mm socket to fit in the tight space. That, a breaker bar, and a short pipe worked like a champ till I lost the socket. Broke down and bought the Craftsman version of the tool stated above for $30. I broke it trying to break loose a stuck bolt on the suspension cradle - dumb move! Took it back and got a free replacement. That said, I have Harbor Freight tools hanging on my wall. They come in handy for those odd tools you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:42 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, If you have no special tool at all,
You can Rotate the Crank pulley and walk the belt on/off with a long Screw driver.
I bought a Belt Tensioner tool from Harbor freight b4, it broke on the first use. I got **** off, and bought a GearWrench set, never had a problem with it.