Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Help 01 3.8L fuel at rail, but plugs dry

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:05 PM
sledbuttrob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 01 3.8L fuel at rail, but plugs dry

Replaced the fuel pump and filter. Started right up. Drove it down the road ran great. Turned around stepped on the gas and quit. Towed it home. Sometimes it starts, sometimes not, but won't run for long. Fuel squirts out of the test port. Haven't checked pressure. Plugs are dry, doesn't seem to be getting fuel. No codes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:40 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Why did you put a pump and filter in it? Your story starts half way in.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 PM
sledbuttrob

Fuel pump totally quit. Checked the pump on the bench after out too and was not working.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:57 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You're going to need to get a guage on there to be sure. It's not unheard of to get a dud off the shelf.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:49 AM
sledbuttrob

50 psi at the fuel gauge port. Drops to 46 psi after sitting 5 minutes.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:07 PM
maxbaby
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say "no codes", did you actually run them on a proper scanner?

If it's running sometimes and not running other times, makes me think something in the ignition... power to the injectors? Power management Unit corrosion? I know that somewhere I read about one person's experience replacing the fuel pump where after they'd put the new one in, and they'd tried to plug the electrical connector together, it was one of the metal connections inside the plug that had slid backward inside the housing. The metal connection was just touching or butting up against eachother and not sliding over top of eachother, so jarring movement was breaking the connection. This is all assuming that the pump you got was not in itself defective in some way, and there are enough people out there who've replaced their fuel pump only to find it's got a defect that wasn't caught at the factory where it was built. The Bosch pumps are usually great quality while Autozone has to my understanding been a little hit and miss.

Last edited by maxbaby; 02-28-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:53 AM
sledbuttrob

Got it running, and running good. Not sure what I did to fix it though. Took the fuel rail off since I was getting fuel at the fuel port, but not the injectors. Took the injectors off the fuel rail and tried the pump. Fuel flowed freely into the rail and out the injector ports. OK now I am really stumped. Must be electrical. Injectors not firing.

Put everything back together and tried starting it. After about 5 seconds of cranking,(I was just about going to quit), it fired and after about 10 seconds ran like a top and has been running fine since.

Only thing I can possibly put my finger on is the fuel rail connection to the fuel line. When I first took it off it looked like the fuel line wasn't pushed far enough on to the fuel rail. When you take the fuel line off the rail the valve on the line closes. I think mine was only partially open sometimes.

Remember the fuel pump was bad and I had never touched that connection.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 PM
ftamike
Default check your wiring at the 10 pin connector

Hi i would check the wiring at the 10 pin connector behind the power steering pump at might be burn up ..

Old 03-11-2018, 02:03 PM
5mall5nail5

Sorry wrong thread

Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 03-11-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Help 01 3.8L fuel at rail, but plugs dry