Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

compressor not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 AM
christyj1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compressor not working

I have a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan..The other day I had my throttle cleaned out..Yesterday when I turned the air on it just blew warm air..Well the compressor is not coming on..Could the two things be related.?Does the compressor connect to the throttle?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 AM
TJeepman
Professional

No, it doesn't but they may have disconnected it or damaged a connection when doing the throtle body cleaning.
Was the throtle body cleaning something they suggested? done by a Dealer? part of the maintenance schedule? what mileage on the vehicle?
Sounds like they had a finger in the problem somehow. Had you used the air conditioning prevous to the event and can verify it was working okay?
Are you mechanically savy enough to look for a disconnect in the throtle body/air compressor area. The should be electrical wiring coming from the air compressor and a connector there as well.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:51 AM
christyj1

They told me I needed it at my last oil change.They wanted 285.00 at the dealer so I had my dad's mechanic[certified] do it for a couple of bucks...Ireallydon't know ifit was working prior,I have nothad it on since September or October when it did work fine..I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealer..40,000 mi

Old 03-14-2012, 12:41 PM
TJeepman
Professional

40,000 miles - throttle body cleaning - $285.00

Firstly, the price sounds way too high. Secondly, the only mention of throttle body in the Owner Manual/Maintenance Schedule is as follows:
Never pour fuel or other flammable liquids into the throttle body air inlet opening in an attempt to start the vehicle. This could result in a flash fire causing serious personal injury.
How could the Service Manager determine that you needed one? At 48,000 they say to check the exhaust system, but up to that point not even a mention of inspecting the intake system (throttle body).
I don't believe my 2002 GC has had a throttle body cleaning ever although they tried to sell me one a few times. It does not have an EGR valve, so that helps, I'm told.
My 2007 has an EGR valve so that throttle body may need cleaning someday but not at the whim of a Dealership Service Manager. No wonder Dealerships get bad reputations. Watch out for them wanting to flush this, flush that. Here's what Chrysler says about flushes: http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2600109.pdf basically only the coolant needs to be flushed every so often as per the Maintenance Schedule.

I digress, but it sounds like the Service Manager was more focused on what the Business needed ($) versus what the Customer needed (quality economical service).

Hopefully the air conditioning is okay. I leave mine on partial defrost during the winter and most other times, so it will come on automatically from time to time and not seize up due to lack of use.

Last edited by TJeepman; 03-14-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by christyj1
They told me I needed it at my last oil change.They wanted 285.00 at the dealer so I had my dad's mechanic[certified] do it for a couple of bucks...Ireallydon't know ifit was working prior,I have nothad it on since September or October when it did work fine..I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealer..40,000 mi
Only reason to clean the throttle body is if you detect a symptom requiring it. My 17 year old van with 210K miles is running like a top and I have never cleaned the throttle body. If your dealer is indeed insisting it be done as a scheduled maintenance item, next time tell them to take a hike then look for another dealer.

Check the A/C compressor clutch fuse in the TIPM (fuse box). Check the connection at the compressor clutch. Be a shame to fork over $100+ bucks to have a dealership change a fuse or connect a connector.

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-14-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 AM
papaduck
Professional

It could be the freon is low, thus the compressor will not run.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 PM
christyj1

Well,it ended up being the evaporator was leaking under dash...Fixed under warranty so all is good.Thanks to everyone for all the info..

Quick Reply: compressor not working