Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

no more parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012 | 06:41 PM
gnickner
|
Unhappy no more parking brake

Hi

I just changed my winter tires to summer ones. When I do that I always remove the caliper, pads and clips to clean up all the things and apply anti-sease.

On the rear I use the tool to screw down the piston. After the reinstallation I pumped the brake and was never be abble to get a hard pedal. The pedal always went down to the floor. I checked the oil, it is good.

So I jacked the van again to see what happened. I saw the caliper was moving freely on the pin, it acted like when I pressed the brake the piston got out and when I released the pedal the piston retracted.

At this point, I decided to start over and use the tool again to screw the piston back in place. After that, I pumped the brake and it worked great. I saw the piston going out and turning and after a few pumps the piston seated and worked well.

But now, if I use the parking brake the mecanism works but no brakes are applied (the piston doesn't move).

I followed all data procedures. I'm completely lost on what I have done wrong. Please HELP!

Thanks for advise,

Old 03-19-2012 | 08:52 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

The calipers are bad and need to be replaced. I have seen this many times. In the future I would recommend you only mess with the rear brakes when you have to.

Old 03-19-2012 | 07:00 PM
gnickner
|

Ok bad news.

Do you have a idea of what I do wrong? Curently It act normaly for brake operation. Is it safe to drive whit it?

I think I can live without parking brake.

thanks for the advise

Old 03-19-2012 | 08:35 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

You probably screwed it in TOO FAR in on the first try.
it really don't matter, as long as the Caliper is not locking up, you'll be ok. Just make sure every Time you jack up the car for Oil change, spin the rear wheel and make sure it rotates freely.
Who uses parking brake these days?

Quick Reply: no more parking brake