Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2004 Dge Cvn 3.3l misfire cyl #6

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM
LWK3113
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dge Cvn 3.3l misfire cyl #6

This past February a check engine light came on and was seen as misfire cyl #6.

This cel would vanish and then come back. 215,000 miles of bliss with my 04 caravan. Lots of maintenance done. Nothing seemed/heard that was affecting Gas mileage/idle or acceleration. This engine still gets 22 mpg city and 26mpg long highway w/little weight in it. There is a little "ba-rump" in the idle at low idle but it is barely noticeable. I very rarely get a "stall" after I get gasoline. Maybe 1 in 30 fill-ups.

So,with 95K on existing set of plugs and wires I started there. New Plugs, New Wires. CEL still present. Changed the Original Coil Pak. CEL still present. Changed the Fuel pump and filter. CEL still present. Cleaned the upper intake rail. CEL still present. Bought a new computer (OEM) and still CEL (misfire cyl #6) is present.

This weekend we examined the rockers and springs and they seem to all be the same amount of give and play. This is a very clean engine and the valve cover gaskets (original) even looked new and the vehicle has no leaks.

The vehicle did sit for 60 days (Dec and January) for the first time in its 8 years. Previously it has run *******ly every day circa 75-100 miles avg.

Any insight for my mechanic and I on this CEL Misfire Cyl #6 would be greatly appreciated.

I truly Luv my Ddg Cvn 2004 3.3L!

LWK

Old 03-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check compression. Run continuity tests on the coil driver wiring from the PCM to the coil. Swap the #6 injector with another cylinder. Other than that it looks like you covered all the usual culprits.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0306

Old 03-28-2012, 07:10 PM
06Caravan
Rookie

I had the same cyl 6 Misfire on an '06 3.3 with @ 75k miles just a couple of months ago.

I replaced all of the plugs and wires and it cured it.

However, one of the things I read that I was worried might be the case was that either intake manifold gasket leaks or an EGR problem could cause a cylinder 6 issue. I forget the specific reasoning why the EGR problem affected cylinder 6 especially.

Thankfully neither of them were the case but it's something that I don't see in your list so maybe it will help.

BTW, FWIW, I replaced the EGR valve in my '06 in July of last year when it threw an EGR position sensor code. So I was a bit curious when the cylinder 6 misfire occurred a couple of months later.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:16 PM
LWK3113

Hey All,

Thanks to those that replied. Much appreciated! It has been a difficult month as I have still not solved my P0306 misfire code. My Transmission went (failed @ 216K miles) and I purchsed a Nused 2003 Transmission with 62K miles. My Mechanic had to use the original Output Speed sensor as the one on the 2003 was damaged.

After the swap, things went great for ~100 miles (3days) and then a P0846 showed up today. He has a Snap-on Scan tool [SOLAR] and asked me to come here and ask for some insight as the Scan tool shows the Input Sensor switch to be +/- 50 RPMS from the engine readings.

I will post this in a new thread as well but I wanted to update my original posts and thank the repliers as well.

Quick Reply: 2004 Dge Cvn 3.3l misfire cyl #6