Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Old 08-07-2015, 12:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

Cost to replace serpentine belt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:46 AM
foladar
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJeepman
My guess is the tensioner bearing but they should be able to determine the source in less than 5 minutes and may not even charge you for that.
For parts, one option is to get the parts yourself, hopefully at a savings, and have someone do the installation.
Labor should be in the order of one hour say for an alternator, two hours max for say a power steering pump.
If it is the tensioner bearing, how much should I be looking at so I can get an idea if they tell us a price on it? Thanks so much.

Sadly I don't really know any mechanics up here, moved 4 yrs ago and regret it mechanically every day there's an issue.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:09 AM
TJeepman
Professional

Originally Posted by foladar
If it is the tensioner bearing, how much should I be looking at so I can get an idea if they tell us a price on it? Thanks so much.

Sadly I don't really know any mechanics up here, moved 4 yrs ago and regret it mechanically every day there's an issue.
Rough prices. What year and engine?
- belt tensioner: $60 - $90
- idler pulley: $40 - $80
- alternator: $300 - $400
- power steering pump: $100 +/-
Take a look here for prices: http://www.1aauto.com/
The tensioner was a wild guess, could be idler pulley, could be some other component, hopefully not compressor for air conditioning.
Good luck.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 PM
foladar
Amateur

Rough prices. What year and engine?
- belt tensioner: $60 - $90
- idler pulley: $40 - $80
- alternator: $300 - $400
- power steering pump: $100 +/-
Take a look here for prices: http://www.1aauto.com/
The tensioner was a wild guess, could be idler pulley, could be some other component, hopefully not compressor for air conditioning.
Good luck.
It's a 1996, not sure on engine but i'd guess 3.0? No AC connected so don't think it's the compressor for AC. I assume those are parts, do you know how many hours an idler pulley or belt tensioner would be?

Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Originally Posted by foladar
It's a 1996, not sure on engine but i'd guess 3.0? No AC connected so don't think it's the compressor for AC. I assume those are parts, do you know how many hours an idler pulley or belt tensioner would be?
1 hr. should do it for each, could be less by a little.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:41 PM
foladar
Amateur

1 hr. should do it for each, could be less by a little.
Cool, sounds like $200 then if I'm lucky. I'm still holding my guess to $400 though, seems like no matter what the bill is $400 to $800 every time. I might hold off until tomorrow on taking it in since I'm suppose to look at a 2000 Corolla with 127k miles today.

Just needed the Dodge to last another month, but apparently it was alot to ask of it.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 PM
foladar
Amateur

Do you know how dangerous it would be to drive the vehicle with the sound like that? is it just an annoyance, or could it do real damage to the vehicle? It started about Wednesday, I'd like to stretch it out though as long as it's just driving to & from work (14 miles total) so I can try to get a used vehicle rather than fix it.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:37 AM
jkimchi
Default Bar of Soap

If it is the serpentine belt that is whining, a quick way to find out is to run a bar of soap and put a light coating on the belt as your caravan is running.

If it is the belt, the whine usually goes away. I had mine starting to whine about 4-5 months ago, and the bar of soap did the trick.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:28 PM
06Caravan
Rookie

Just did alternator, belt, tensioner, and idler pulley on an '06 with new parts.

Factory alternator w/clutch pulley - $200 on Ebay from a Dodge dealer
Dayco belt tensioner - $40-50
Belt - $51 and change at Dodge dealership
Idler pulley - $15, Advance Auto.

Labor for all in the backyard was 1.5 hours. Wasn't in any hurry or it could have been quicker!

Quick Reply: Cost to replace serpentine belt?