Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Steering Rack Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 AM
map79z28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Rack Question

Have to replace the rack and pinion on my 97 grand caravan. The Haynes manual talks about "disconnecting the steering column shaft coupler from the steering gear intermediate coupler. Remove the cotter key, the nut and the pinch bolt." Where is this located? Any answers are greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:42 AM
TJeepman
Professional

Originally Posted by map79z28
Have to replace the rack and pinion on my 97 grand caravan. The Haynes manual talks about "disconnecting the steering column shaft coupler from the steering gear intermediate coupler. Remove the cotter key, the nut and the pinch bolt." Where is this located? Any answers are greatly appreciated!!
Remove the floor mat and cover plate at the bottom of your steering column and take a look.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Drivers side foot well, look up........looks like this

Old 04-06-2012, 04:33 PM
TJeepman
Professional

That's a good picture. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:50 PM
map79z28

Great diagram will have to see if that is what I have. And I take it that this is high up in the compartment? Do I have to remove the two halves that cover the shaft (where the emergency flasher button is and turn signal)? Thanks for the replies and pic. The manual says that I can just drop the steering gear until I can use the roll pin remover tool. But couldnt i just remove the whole intermediate shaft/rack and then remove the roll pin with the steering gear completely out? Or is there not enough clearance to do that? Thanks again!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The coupler connection is down towards the floor, I remove no panels to access it. The only way you could lower the rack all the way down with the coupler still on it is if you removed the lower control arms after removing the craddle plate. You need to be able to slide the rack side to side to remove it so removing the coupler from the rack is needed.

Quick Reply: Steering Rack Question