Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

How do I check the radiator fans and circuit on 2001

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 PM
riverjamie
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I check the radiator fans and circuit on 2001

I have an 2001 Dodge Grand Carvan Sport 3.3L. I just wanted to check out my cooling fans and circuit. The car is not overheating, but just wanted to make sure the cooling system is okay. So first, will the fans stay on even after the engine is shut off? Two, can I test the fans by wiring directly to the battery, or will that burn them out? Third, I assume there's probably a fan relay and sensor somewhere? Is it possible someone can pls tell where to locate them? Last I have a slight leak on the bottom of the radiator, so will be replacing in the near future, other than hoses, thermosat, any other helpful hints? On the anti freeze, the original was orange good for 100k. Any thoughts on replacement antifreeze that will also go 100k? Thanks for all the feedback.

Last edited by riverjamie; 05-09-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the radiator fan relay is located on the front bumper support. If you remove the left headlamp housing, you can see it on the support. If it needs replacing, you would have to remove the front fascia. It can run the fan at multiple speeds but jumping battery power to the fan feed terminal should make the fans run at high speed. Fans should not run with the key off. And if your not going to stick with the factory coolant, flush the system good, you dont want to mix coolants.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I missing something here? It sounds like you're saying everything is working fine. You just want to see the system operate correct? Why take anything apart? Let it idle about 15 minutes. The fans should turn on when the coolant reaches around 220 deg F. Press the A/C button and the fans should spin within seconds. Done.

The fans should turn off as soon as you turn the ignition off.

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-10-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:01 PM
riverjamie
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thank you Tizzy1 and Cougar for replying

Tizzy, thanks for the diagram, can you pls tell me where is the sensor for the coolant that the CPU looks at for the temp which controls the fans off and on? Also I read a few things that said if correct, that by disconnecting it the fans should turn on, is this correct?

Cougar, the other day I did turn on the AC but never saw the fans turn on?

I was stuck in some bad traffic the other day, which should've caused the fans to turn on, but of course inside the car I could not hear them. But the temp meter never went above the mid point.

And yes I'm just trying to verfiy that the system is working with summer on the way.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

correct, disconnecting the coolant sensor should cause the fans to come on. It is located on the back side of the intake under the coil pack.

Quick Reply: How do I check the radiator fans and circuit on 2001