Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Vacuum hissing at intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 PM
LSUfan71
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum hissing at intake manifold

Can someone tell me what this 4-way vacuum tee is called? (see pic) It's located at the rear of the intake manifold on a 2.4L engine. I noticed a loud hissing a few months ago and it's coming from this point, they're sucking air. There's nothing unusual about the operation of the vehicle, just the noise.

It seems that two connections are missing but I don't see any loose hoses at all. Blocking off these will immediately kill the engine. I've checked my manual and searched online extensively but can't find an answer. Please help.

Vacuum hissing at intake manifold-caravan.intake.jpg

Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

There should be caps on them. Parts store should have some vacuum caps. I think one is EGR solenoid, one is Brake Booster, one is cruise and the other would be vacuum AC/Heat which you probably don't have. Cap them off. It dies because the idle has been learned with the vacuum leak. It will correct itself after a couple starts. If it keeps dying, tease the throttle and bring it down slowly until the PCM compensates. It may take a couple minutes for it to do that.

Last edited by TNtech; 05-09-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 AM
LSUfan71
Amateur

Originally Posted by TNtech
There should be caps on them. Parts store should have some vacuum caps. I think one is EGR solenoid, one is Brake Booster, one is cruise and the other would be vacuum AC/Heat which you probably don't have. Cap them off. It dies because the idle has been learned with the vacuum leak. It will correct itself after a couple starts. If it keeps dying, tease the throttle and bring it down slowly until the PCM compensates. It may take a couple minutes for it to do that.
Ah, ok. The vehicle does have A/C and cruise, although the wife hasn't used cruise in quite awhile. I'll try capping them off later this morning and get back to ya. Thanks

Old 05-10-2012, 12:40 PM
LSUfan71
Amateur

Works great, thanks. I must've knocked off the originals when I changed the spark plugs.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:13 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LSUfan71
Works great, thanks. I must've knocked off the originals when I changed the spark plugs.
Yeah, I was gonna ask you if you slid your forearm across it while doing something under there. There were probably rotten anyway.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 PM
LSUfan71
Amateur

Originally Posted by TNtech
Yeah, I was gonna ask you if you slid your forearm across it while doing something under there. There were probably rotten anyway.
Yep, I replaced the spark plugs and wires a few months ago, must've happened then. Of course my wife didn't notice the hissing noise...

Thanks again.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:00 PM
Hilary Richter
Default Same problems

Originally Posted by LSUfan71
Yep, I replaced the spark plugs and wires a few months ago, must've happened then. Of course my wife didn't notice the hissing noise...

Thanks again.
There are 4 nipples on the 4way which ones need to have hoses n which two need caps?

Old 08-27-2019, 09:03 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Hilary Richter
There are 4 nipples on the 4way which ones need to have hoses n which two need caps?
It doesn’t matter- they all draw vacuum from the manifold. As long as the hoses properly fit the nipples they’re attached to, you can cap the others.

Quick Reply: Vacuum hissing at intake manifold