Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Dodge Grand caravan electric problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 04:36 PM
rexmanno
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Grand caravan electric problems.

All my interior lights stay on when we are driving, they will turn them self off after the key has been removed and doors closed after about 15 - 20 minutes.
It also says that the back door is not closed, which it is.
Any ideas?

Old 05-28-2012, 01:36 PM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats happened to me three times on my 06. i had to turn the rotating wheel back and fourth, back and fourth several times. turned it off and on. then it worked.

’03 Dodge Grand Caravan —I know your problem is lights staying on but my dash lights went out could be directed toward the same problem. Completely. Instrument panel, radio, heater controls — all unlit. My first thought, naturally, was a fuse.

However, when I looked at the fuse box, I couldn’t find any fuse that looked like it controlled the instrument panel backlighting. Web searching turned up a few things, including a fixya entry and a *********.com forum post which document the same problem and an odd fix: disconnect the battery or otherwise cut power to the computer.

So, I went out and pulled the IOD fuse (Ignition Off Draw, controls the power drawn when the vehicle is off) for a couple hours. Disconnecting the negative cable on the battery would accomplish the same thing for this purpose. After putting the fuse back in, the dash lights worked.

Piecing things together, particularly with the insights from the ********* post, it seems that the issue is a computer problem — sometimes, for some reason, the computer will stop turning on the dash lights. Disconnecting power to it for a while resets the computer, allowing the dash lights to start working again. Weirdest van repair ever, but it works, and here it is documented so others can hopefully find that the solution does, indeed, work.

Quick Reply: 2008 Dodge Grand caravan electric problems.