Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Front Evaporator replacement on 2007 Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:43 PM
DLMcpherson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Evaporator replacement on 2007 Caravan

I've read through many posts on replacing the evaporator on previous year Caravans. I have not seen any on the 2007 model year. Has anyone one been through one of these yet? My local garage narrowed down the problem for me with an $800 estimate.....HELP!!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How did they narrow it down to front evap? can you elaborate or ASK them to show you what they did?
Caravan are known for rear evap failure. (as pretty much any car with rear evap out there). I believe some caravan has 70k miles extended waranty on rear evap, check with your dealer.
if you falls out of the waranty, you can always buy a kit to block off the rear evap.

Front EVAP core, once in a GREAT while we see a failure.
keep us updated!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:06 PM
DLMcpherson

I have a very good local shop. started out by adding freon myself with dye. it took a couple cans and worked ok for a few weeks. It went low again and was left with no ac. This shop charges a shop fee, refills freon w/dye ,then goes over the entire vehicle with black light (?) to check for leaks....none were found any where. Knew about extended warranty on rear evaporator (thanks) and went over it with fine tooth comb.. unable to locate any leaks....told me to drive it for a while and bring it back and would only charge for freon till we located the leak...they let me in the shop with them to look (didn't charge me for looking) happy with their troubleshooting....by process of elimination was decided it was front evaporator...never saw dye at drain tube...

Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

dye and black light, they only work half of the time for me. you'll hardly ever find oils dripping down the drain tube. Because leaks are only few drops of oil, and the drain is constantly being washed with water.

well, they do sell a Eletronic leak detector for like $150. those thing are pretty darn accurate! stick it into the drain tube, if there is a leak, even a small one, it'll pick it up! saved my hours or searching in the dark.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

sounds like they are no 100% sure if it is the front evap. there is still hope!
you are not going to see oil out of the drain, because when it leak, it will only drip few drops of oil. and drain is constantly washed out with water. To me, Dye test is not the best method.
they do sell leak detection tool for like $150ish. those things are VERY accurate. every A/C mechanic should have one. stick that thing into the A/C drain, if there is a leak, it will pick it up!
Amazon Amazon

Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 PM
DLMcpherson

Thanks, think a buddy may have a elect. leak detector at work...will see him in a few days and check it out

Old 10-26-2012, 10:25 PM
eyecando

I just went through this a couple of weeks ago on my 2009 Dodge Caravan. I immediately recognized the smell of oil coming out the front vents a few weeks before the A/C quit working.

I pulled the dash out and replaced the evaporator myself. I purchased the factory service manual, but it is far from ideal. I spent two days trying to figure out the process and locate all the bolts, etc. A/C works great now, but I would not recommend the average person take this task on. This seemed to be much more difficult than my last two evaporator replacements, but the difference was probably that the factory service manuals on the older vehicles were much better.

This is my third Caravan. I had a 1988, 1998 and now a 2009. I replaced the front evaporator on all three within a year after they went out of warranty. The rear evaporator on my 1998 never failed even though I drove it for over 10 years. Either I've had a very bad string of bad luck or Dodge has problems with their evaporators.

Quick Reply: Front Evaporator replacement on 2007 Caravan