Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Regret Not Getting Better Air Condition Option

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:34 AM
magiccollector
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regret Not Getting Better Air Condition Option

Hello,

Totally loving my new 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. I do have one very big regret though. I upgraded to the package with the full stow n' go, but my big regret is not also upgrading to the package with better air condition / climate control.

Now that we're in the middle of summer, my three kids are baking in the back of the van until the air conditioning (which only comes out of the front) can cool off. My ritual right now is, open all doors and trunk and wait 5 minutes for van to cool off... then drive for first 2 minutes with front windows open (cause the damn side windows don't open and the rear ones are useless), while blasting air con at full blast. Even then, my kids are screaming they are boiling.

Does anyone know if it is possible to add the better air condition / climate control afterwards? I see there are what look like vents in the rear, covered with some kind of black sponge thingy, and I tried removing it but still no air conditioning is coming from the back. Is there a way to modify the van to get air con to come from rear?

Thanks for your feedback/suggestions! Other than this (very irritating issue/regret), totally loving this van!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:31 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOu would probably lose less money trading it in for one with rear A/C than trying to retrofit it.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:30 PM
GQ-ROD
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trade it in, otherwise the only other option is to add an auxillary a/c such as those from classic auto air, they have a unit made for hatchbacks where the original car may not have had factory a/c and an under dash system will not work. Their system is only $1000.00 a dealer retrofit could cost $3000.00

I have factory dual air and live in florida and IT STILL takes time to cool, remember all the parts of the van are hot and radiate that heat inside, so the a/c has to cool the air as well as all of the parts of the inside of the van BEFORE it gets cold enough to be comfortable.

The only real trick i've seen is if possible park in shady areas, leave the two rear most window cracked open, so that the inside air is only slightly hotter than the outside air, drive briefly as you mentioned to cool off the interior, shut all the windows and ride cool.

Last edited by GQ-ROD; 07-22-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Regret Not Getting Better Air Condition Option