Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2010 grand caravan brake fluid puddle after changing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:34 AM
fred mathering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 grand caravan brake fluid puddle after changing brakes

Hello, I changed the front pads on my 2010 grand caravan. After putting the van back together and taking a test drive, I notice on the garage floor a puddle of brake fluid on the garage floor. Now this puddle was toward the middle/rear of the van. Whats up with that? I changed my 2005 pads 2 months ago and had a puddle under the master cylinder which I understand, why the puddle toward the rear of the van? WHats different in the 2010? Should I be concerned? The brakes have been fine for 2 weeks now. Where are going a on a very long trip in august and want to make sure things are in order.

Thanks
Fred

Old 07-20-2012, 10:12 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Default Master cllinder ?

Check the level & wipe clean for a few trips ?

Old 07-21-2012, 01:16 AM
dsolorio
Professional

I got a little bit confused. As of now its been 2 weeks since you changed your brakes. The first and only time you seen the puddle was the same day you changed your brakes. 2 weeks later you still haven't seen another puddle? Is that right?

Old 07-21-2012, 02:31 AM
fred mathering

Originally Posted by dsolorio
I got a little bit confused. As of now its been 2 weeks since you changed your brakes. The first and only time you seen the puddle was the same day you changed your brakes. 2 weeks later you still haven't seen another puddle? Is that right?
Yes that is correct, no puddle since I changed the pads. I use a C clamp to push the "piston" back in the caliper. Now, because of the pushing the piston back, it also pushes the brake fluid back as well. The brake fluid needs to go somewhere so usually it over flows the master cylinder but this time it looks like it overflowed a mechanism towards the rear/middle of the van. I am wondering what this mechanism is, or is it just a brake line. My concern is that I don't want to worry that I ruined a seal or something to that effect. Its been fine ever since, but since we are going on a long mountain trip, I want to be sure.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:16 PM
dsolorio
Professional

Did you work on the van while backed in the garage? Then after your test drive you parked the van forward inside the garage and see the puddle that originally came from the front possibly filling up the bake fluid and is know towards the rear of the van, due to parking the other way? Just asking, I've done that before. lol

Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 AM
fred mathering

Originally Posted by dsolorio
Did you work on the van while backed in the garage? Then after your test drive you parked the van forward inside the garage and see the puddle that originally came from the front possibly filling up the bake fluid and is know towards the rear of the van, due to parking the other way? Just asking, I've done that before. lol
Nope, not the case, van stays in the driveway during the summer, so after change brake pads in the garage, I parked the van in the street, then went to clean up garage and voila!

Quick Reply: 2010 grand caravan brake fluid puddle after changing brakes