Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 grand caravan gas tank leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Nate c
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 grand caravan gas tank leak

my 2008 Grand Caravan has developed a leak right at the point the filler tube enters the gas tank. Dealer and third party mechanic both say I need a new tank. It was not hit or damaged.
new tanks are on a national backorder and cost $900, plus labor. seems really annoying to have to replace whole tank for what seems to be a collar connection to filler tube. Of course there are no third party tanks yet for 2008 caravans. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 07-20-2012, 10:06 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Default Salvage Yard ?

The Junk yards are full of gas tanks !!

Old 07-21-2012, 01:11 AM
dsolorio
Professional

If this is a common problem, there is a good change that the dismantle yards will have the same problem. This vehicles are usually there because they are very abused and mistreated. lol. But, if you were to give it a try, go take it to get pressure tested before the install.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:01 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah... A lot of these Junk yard fuel tank have crack nibbles and connector joints because they get tossed around like it was shipped thru UPS. If you are getting junk yard unit, make sure you have good mechanic inspect it well b4 installing.

Also, is the Fuel leaking out when you fill up or what? If you are leaking Vapor and cause "evap leak code" Check Engine Light , maybe u can get away with some JB weld. But if you are leaking atual Gasoline... then not worth the risk.

Last edited by steak59; 07-21-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Nate c

leaking actual gasoline, but only when over about 1/2 a tank full. No evap warning on dash. i'm going to call Chrysler, see if I get some love, maybe try epoxy around leak when it isn't leaking on off chance I get lucky, otherwise looks like I'll be setting aside $1200...(sigh)

Quick Reply: 2008 grand caravan gas tank leak