Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

transaxle pan gasket- sealent Yes/ No

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:56 AM
topfuool
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transaxle pan gasket- sealent Yes/ No

Hi, what is the correct thing to do. I bought filter and rubber pan gasket for 1996 Dodge Caravan 3.3L. Do you use a gasket sealer or not, and if so which kind? I have searched all over the web and found some people say yes, some say no. I don't want to have to do it again because it is leaking. Thanks for any help in advance.
Topfuool

Old 07-22-2012, 03:20 PM
GQ-ROD
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if there is a specific sealant HOWEVER,

Couple of tips,

When you take out the bolts MAKE SURE you clean out the threads on the trans AND clean the threads on the bolts in case someone had used RTV sealant OR the factory sealant was applied,

Why??

Be because you could strip the threads on the trans, and then you are in a heap of trouble since you will then have to use thread inserts or helicoils and this is seriously NO FUN drilling upside down.

Get every bit of rtv sealant out of the threads on the trans make sure there is none on the threads of ALL the bolts.

Make sure you DO NOT OVER TORQUE the oil pan bolts upon installation.

When i did mine it still leaked a slow drip. I left it that way since i did not want to tear it all down again.

Quick Reply: transaxle pan gasket- sealent Yes/ No