Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Coolant ran into, stupid me.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 07:16 PM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant ran into, stupid me.

3.8, 06

Changed timing cover gasket yesterday because I saw small drip coolant coming from bottom of timing cover, lost only about 6 ounces of coolant. Don't think any went into oil. Checked it. Drained oil anyway.

So I Put new oil in van. Put timing cover back, and everything else. Pressured it up and leak started again. PUlled it all off again. Lots of work again.

The gasket on timing cover had shifted while installing, careless me. Live and learn. Bad thing, coolant ran into oil since gasket had shifted when i installed. Another bad thing, I just put in new oil in van (20 bucks) and had to drain it because coolant went into oil since my gasket moved while installing. I drained it immediately without running the engine.

Hope everything is A-ok.

So

Old 07-22-2012, 07:19 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the "Anything worth doing once is worth redoing" club. We've all been there.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 PM
scotter5
Veteran

thanks for the response and not a condemnation. i think i'lll change oil one more time to be certain. hate to pay another 20 bucks in addition to the HOAT i got to buy. Wish i could buy prestone for 1/2 of the price. maybe put some stp clean engine with the oil. thoughts. remember i didn't run engine with the coolant in the oil, if that makes a difference,which i believe it does.

thoughts????

Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Hankster1

just put water in for now and when you know it is leak free drain the water and put in the proper coolant.
Hank

Old 07-23-2012, 03:07 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Since you read my initial thread up top. coolant leaked into oil, because i screwed up when by moving the gasket on timing cover when installing. however i drained oil having the coolant in it immediatedly. then replaced with new oil. didn't run after that.

question: should i drain buy more oil again, thinking there maybe traces of coolant in somewhere. or something else? Thoughts??

Quick Reply: Coolant ran into, stupid me.