Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2004 grand caravan fuel smell slow fill

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:31 PM
racerboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 grand caravan fuel smell slow fill

I have a 2004 dodge grand caravan that had a bad fuel pump. It was making a bad wine when running. I dropped the fuel tank and installed a new pump. Everything was great till i went to put fuel into the tank. The van took fuel full bore for about 5 seconds then the pump clicked off. The rest of the time I had to go slowly and the pump will still click off sometimes. It did this for 3 fillups now. After the third fill I got a bad fuel smell in the cabin when leaving the gas station. Looking for any help any one has to offer. Thinking i need to drop the tank again and check the vent lines? I have put about 500 miles on the van since the fuel pump was replaced. It seems to run fine and there is no check engine light on.

(PS) Ever since we owned the van when you fill the tank full sometimes the motor would stumble or die when leaving the gas station. Not every time and there really is no telling when it will happen.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:06 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

ok for filling i know that if u run a vehicle dry to empty it fills with vapour so it has that effect when u filling up. the pump head senses the vapour and shuts off. not also could be something u missed to hookup? any hoses?
also for the stumble have u removed and replaced the fuel filter?

Old 07-24-2012, 07:07 AM
papaduck
Professional

You probably have a kink in either the fill line or the vent.

The stumble is when the vapor canister is purged after filling and liquid fuel is allowed to enter the engine. Mine does this sometimes also. The fix is expensive, so I just live with it.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:22 PM
racerboy

Ok so I checked the fuel fill and vent line. Both seemed to be clear. When filling you can get about 1.5 gallons in at full speen then even if you just tricle it in the pump keeps kicking off. It dosent seem to help if you go slow all the time. Could there be a problem with the filler neck in the tank?

Quick Reply: 2004 grand caravan fuel smell slow fill