Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Thinking of buying 2002 Grand Caravan. Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Super77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying 2002 Grand Caravan. Reliability?

New user here, so forgive any noobishness. I can't seem to find a buyer's guide area here, but if there is one, please point the way.

I'm considering buying a 2002 Grand Caravan Sport with a wheelchair ramp conversion. My son has a wheelchair and we need a reliable way to transport him. The vehicle has a 3.3, 43,000 miles and looks to be in decent shape. I'm not new to auto care and repair, but I've never owned a dodge or even a minivan. What do I look for when inspecting it, and what are some known weak spots or problem areas with this model/year? Reliability is first on my list of must-haves.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Especially with the low miles, you should have no particular issues with reliability other than corrosion and that depends on where you live. These vans have had lots of corrosion problems with brake lines, coolant lines to the rear heater and the fuel filler pipe assembly among others but these may not apply if you are in an area where salt isn't used.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Super77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mfahey
Especially with the low miles, you should have no particular issues with reliability other than corrosion and that depends on where you live. These vans have had lots of corrosion problems with brake lines, coolant lines to the rear heater and the fuel filler pipe assembly among others but these may not apply if you are in an area where salt isn't used.
I live in Seattle. Used car buyer's paradise. No road salt, mild winters and summers. Corrosion is seldom an issue.

The owner hauled dogs and it could use some reconditioning. Where do I turn for a good selection of used and affordable interior bits like carpet and plastic panels?

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying 2002 Grand Caravan. Reliability?