Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Curious Problem: Caravan won't start in hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Andrew Giambrone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious Problem: Caravan won't start in hot weather

I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan 3.3L.

This problem has been going on for like 3 years. It seems to be getting progressively worse.

If I park the van in direct sunlight on very hot days (like 90s) and leave it there for several hours where it cooks. It won't start. Turn key, no clicking, no noise, just nothing. If you try for a while, you might get lucky and the car will start. But what I usually do is get a ride and come back at night where it starts on the first try.

Don't try to convince me that it's not hot weather, because this problem only happens in the summer time. For most of the year (I live in Mass), it's not a problem. Car starts just fine. The ignition is a little touchy, and my wife can't seem to turn the key right, but it starts during the fall/winter/spring every time for me without issue.

How am I so sure: This summer I've been parking in the shade at work, directly under a tree. The car is much cooler inside when I get out of work and has NEVER failed to start. If I park at home, where I have no shade, it will not start on days when it's over 85 or so. Always starts early in the morning, always at night.

I replaced the ignition/key. I also replaced the ignition starter switch. Neither fixed the problem.

Any ideas besides "park in the shade"?

Last edited by Andrew Giambrone; 07-31-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: email status: more info
Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Andrew Giambrone
Default Bump

Please someone help me.

Is it the starter?

If it was, could the starter have been bad for three years and not be completely shot by now?

Plus it works fine in the winter. I am thinking of scrapping this car just because of this problem.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first thing I'd do is clean the battery terminals, the connection at the starter and the ground.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Starter? Check for around 12vdc at both starter connections as you attempt to crank it. If it's there and the starter isn't turning, change the starter. Check connections as stated.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:39 PM
lmrsa

Hopefully you found the issue, but if not, let me know and I can try and copy and paste the test sequence for starting from a professional guide. On my 01GC, the starter went and was temperature sensitive mainly due to the fact that the copper contacts would expand when current heated and expanded the contacts so a connection could be made. This is opposite of what you report. I did have an issue with another car (Honda Accord) a few years ago which is a known issue and in fact had a dealer recall. Turns out that the ignition switch after so many cycles and so much current through it, had it's contacts worn down or worn out and couldn't complete the starting circuit. Mine worn out again after the recall 6-8 years earlier. In hot weather or if the inside of the car was warm, there was too much resistance and not enough current could reach the starter. Sounds like something similar... In fact the switch got really hot after starting a car since the resistance was soo high. Well, the Dodge circuit may be different by having a starter relay but maybe the same thing is happening. So this test sequence basically checks all of this stuff out. Let me know, Mike

Old 09-17-2012, 01:22 AM
pondwater
Default try this !!

I found issue with ign wires-red12 += good blue12 + when key turned to on = good yellow 0 power on run or when trying to start = bad - easy cheap fix = momentary push button switch from a steady +12v on one side splice into yellow on the other= WORKS LIKE A CHARM !! of course turn ign to run mode & thun just push button for a second or two-household lite switch would work also if you want to redneck it=just turn on and off quickly !!!!))))))

Quick Reply: Curious Problem: Caravan won't start in hot weather