Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2010 Caravan electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Dodgeftw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [SOLVED] 2010 Caravan electrical issue

Hello

My radio, windows, blinkers, ac/heater and headlights are the things I notice that all randomly turns off at the same time. Started with just my AC randomly turning off. So when I put my van in the shop for the ignition recall I had them take a look at my AC. All seemed well up until a week later. When everything would turn off. It would be off a few mins then pop back on.
Now it just got to the point where I have to turn the car off then back on to get it back to normal. I have wait till next week to bring it to the shop. Wondering if anyone else had this problem or know what it is.

Thanks

Last edited by Dodgeftw; 08-13-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is usually an indication that there's a problem with a module on the high speed bus. If I understand this system correctly, all the power comes out of the Totally Integrated Power Module. It's basically the PBX of the vehicle. All power switching happens here. It gets commands from the high speed bus that connects to all the modules in the vehicle. If one of the modules misbehaves, it either introduces voltage onto the bus or static. Without the data stream, the TIPM shuts down.

That's the bad news. The good news is that it sets a trouble code. Now for more bad news. Only high end scan tools can read these "U" trouble codes. Ordinarily you can troubleshoot this by disconnecting each module until the problem goes away. But in your case, since it's so intermittent, you're kinda screwed.

On the other hand, you can get a wiring digram and component locator layout and look for wiring that's chaffed or frayed. Otherwise it's back to the dealer or a really well qualified shop.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think your ignition is probably stuck in "Crank" position. I mean, try it, with the car running, turn your key to "Crank" position, and watch ur power window, Rado, wiper, head light, etc... goes off, but engine still running.
you probably will need a WIN module/ignition switch. And if you Do plan to get it replace, please consider a Mopar Remote Start kit if you don't have it alrdy, it comes with a WIN and 2 extra keys.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are three or four of this same problem pending a fix on several other forums. If one pops up I'll post it here. As RickMN stated it is most likely data bus related. The key clue is "fixing" it by cycling the power off and on. That's the fix for just about any microprocessor circuit and these vans are full of them.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:19 AM
Dodgeftw

Thanks for all the replies. Been doing a lot of Googlin and seeing that the WIN module most likely being the issue.

Thanks again.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:00 AM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For all the geeks

If you're really into geeky stuff, I've put together this overview of how Chrysler's digital bus system works. It shows a basic wiring diagram with enough techno-chat to make your eyes glaze over. This is what all us do it yourselfers are in for.

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...whats-going-on

Old 08-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Dodgeftw

Thanks for the info Rick. I notice if I turn the key slightly to the right everything cuts off. Then slightly turn back to the left and everything turns back on. So most def. the WIN module. Assume vibrations of the car cause this issue. Thanks again for all the replies.

Peace.

Quick Reply: 2010 Caravan electrical issue