Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

wont turn over sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:41 PM
fritodad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont turn over sometimes

I have a 97 dodge caravan 3.3 litre automatic with cruise control and A/C. My problem is sometimes when you try to start it, it won't even turn over. I thought it was the starter and replaced it however it still sometimes won't crank over the gauges etc all cut out etc but the starter does not do anything. Now I don't know if it matters but the cruise control sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I don't think this would affect it starting but figured I should include the information. The only other thing I can think of would be the ignition switch. Can anyone tell me if they think it could be anything else. Oh it has over 200,000 miles on it

Old 08-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The battery. Make sure connections are squeaky clean and tight. Have it load tested. Does the starter relay in the PDC click when it won't crank?

Old 08-25-2012, 04:14 PM
fritodad

No, no sound whatsoever. And I know the battery connections are good as I just cleaned the posts and put new connectors on the wires and its also a new battery within the last 3 months

Old 08-25-2012, 04:22 PM
SafetyDaveG
Amateur

I had to replace the ignitions switch in my '93 after about 1/4 million miles worth of starts. Cruise always worked, though.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:17 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start by checking fuse 5 in the power distribution center. Pull it and check the fuse and the connection for corrosion. Next, swap the engine starter motor relay with another one with the same part number. If that doesn't work you'll have to break out a multimeter and start checking the relay socket voltages. With the key in the START position, you should see battery voltage on pin 86 of the relay socket. And you should see ground on pin 85. If you don't see power, then check the PTC circuit breaker in the power center. If that's good, check for battery voltage on the yellow wire at the ign switch when in the START position. If no power, check for batt voltage on the red supply wire. If that's good = bad ign switch.

If no ground at relay 85, check for good grounds at PCM. PCM is what provides ground to the control coil on the starter motor relay. PCM also checks tran control module to confirm it's in park or neutral.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:28 PM
pondwater
Default forget everything else You read and try this !!

I found issue with ign wires-red12 += good blue12 + when key turned to on = good yellow 0 power on run or when trying to start = bad - easy cheap fix = momentary push button switch from a steady +12v on one side splice into yellow on the other= WORKS LIKE A CHARM !! of course turn ign to run mode & thun just push button for a second or two-household lite switch would work also if you want to redneck it=just turn on and off quickly !!!!))))))

Quick Reply: wont turn over sometimes