Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:37 AM
topfuool
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise

Can anyone tell me what this part is thats on the pass. side inner fender. It has a vacuum hose that goes over to what I think is the throttel body or air intake. 1996 dodge grand caravan 3.3L The 2 parts are marked with an X It sounds like it's coming from # 2 with the rounded top. The sound is a knock. I'm guessing it is some kind of pump. The car just passed AIM inspection and there is no check engine light and it runs perfect but idles a tiny bit rough at times. Thanks for any help you can give me, Terry

P.S. I would also like to know if anyone has tips on how to get a stuck air filter cover off. I can't budge it

Attached Thumbnails Knocking noise-1.jpg   Knocking noise-2.jpg  

Last edited by topfuool; 09-01-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask a 2nd question
Old 09-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pic number one is a motor mount. Pic number two is EVAP system purge solenoid valve. The valve should start clicking a minute or two after starting. If it doesn't click there is a problem. Raw fuel gases collect in the charcoal filter canister while your car is sitting with the engine off. When you start the engine and it warms, the valve pulses open and lets those gases enter the cylinders to be burned.

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-01-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:27 PM
topfuool
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I meant to put the x's on the drum shaped thing to the left of the motor mount. And thanks for the answer. It is more than a ticking sound It is a fairly loud enough to hear in the car with the windows up knocking. It sounds almost exactly like a rod knock, and I have heard a few of those over the years. Do you think it may be starting to going bad? Thanks again, Terry

Last edited by topfuool; 09-01-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: miss spelled word

Quick Reply: Knocking noise