Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Transmission Problem and Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:39 PM
genx80s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Transmission Problem and Question

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me advice about this. This past Friday, we drove our 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan (3.3L) about 3.5 hours to Jackson, MS (half-way point on a trip). When I was still on the interstate getting ready to exit, it suddenly felt and sounded like we ran over a washboard. After a few seconds the same thing happened, and then the transmission was no longer in gear (I assume...I do not know much about cars). Basically, the rpms went way up. I let off the gas and when I pressed it, the rpms went up again but the van would not accelerate. I coasted off the interstate and stopped on the side of the road. To make a long story short, after trying to drive the van and see what would happen, this was the situation:
When first driving the van, it would accelerate into first and then I think second gear. Then, when I got up to 20 - 30 mph, it felt like it slipped out of gear, the rpms sent up, and it would not accelerate. If I let the speed drop back down, it would then accelerate again but then do the same thing once I got up to 20 - 30 mph. Then, after I let the speed drop a second time and accelerate, it would then stay in second gear. I could then drive the van. To get home, we had to drive it this way. We did not let the rpms get over about 4000 (speed was about 45 - 50 mph).
I took the van to an Autozone and they did a computer scan. The results were:
Definition: P0731 - Gear ratio error in first gear
Explanation: The ECM has detected that the transmission input rpm does not match the transmission output RPM under known conditions.
Probable Cause: Check other service codes first; TSS error; Poor electrical connection; Internal transmission fault
Definition: P0720 - Low output speed sensor above 15 mph
Explanation: Vehicle speed above 15 mph while transmission output shaft speed below 60 rpm.
Probable Cause: Failed output shaft speed sensor; Electrical problem.
Definition: P0733 - Gear ratio in third gear
Explanation: The ECM has detected that the transmission input rpm does not match the transmission output rpm under known conditions
Probable cause: Check other service codes first; TSS error; Poor electrical connection; Internal transmission fault
Definition: P0732 - Gear ratio error in second gear
Explanation: The ECM has detected that the transmission input rpm does not match the transmission output rpm under known conditions.
Probable cause: Check other service codes first; TSS error; Poor electrical connection; Internal transmission fault.
Definition: P0700 - Transaxle control system fault
Explanation: ECM received a signal that the transaxle control module has a fault.
Probable Cause: Shorted or open circuit within transaxle; Failure of transaxle control module.
Definition: P0403 - EGR system fault (exhaust gas recirculation)
Explanation: The ECM has detected a fault in the EGR solenoid circuit.
Probable Cause: Failed EGR vacuum solenoid; Open or short circuit condition on the EGR solenoid circuit; EGR solenoid faulty; Failed EGR pressure sensor where applicable; Failed EGR position sensor where applicable
(Sorry for all of this information but I wanted to make sure to include everything in case I left out something important)

Could this be an electrical and/or sensor problem where this will not require a transmission rebuild / replacement?
We bought this van used, did not pay much, and have been told it probably is not worth paying for a transmission rebuild ($2000+ ?) if that is what it needs.

Also, in case this helps, if I drive it slow, right as it slips out of gear (after getting up to 20 - 30 mph), I can feel a slight rumble similar to what happened when this problem initially occurred.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by genx80s; 09-07-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a transmission guru by any means but based on cost I would drop the transmission fluid pan and inspect for metal debris. If you see much more than the typical tiny fuzz on the magnets it's time for a rebuild. Change the fluid (ATF+4 only) and filter while you're at it. If all looks good change both the input and output speed sensors. Posting the codes would have helped.

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-06-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 PM
genx80s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Not a transmission guru by any means but based on cost I would drop the transmission fluid pan and inspect for metal debris. If you see much more than the typical tiny fuzz on the magnets it's time for a rebuild. Change the fluid (ATF+4 only) and filter while you're at it. If all looks good change both the input and output speed sensors. Posting the codes would have helped.
Thanks for the advice. I edited my original post and put in the codes.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could try changing the input speed sensor since you have a code for it (P0720) but with that many gear ratio codes I would say (not a guru) you have a rebuild in your future. They usually indicate slipping and worn clutch plates. A shop can read clutch volume index (CVI) numbers and confirm that.

To my eyes their explanation for a P0700 code is out to lunch. It hardly means the TCM has a fault. It does mean the TCM has recorded a fault. That fault could be the TCM or a couple dozen other causes.

If Master Tech doesn't chime in here send him a private message. He is the guru.

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-06-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Transmission Problem and Question