Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 voyager questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:34 PM
o0A0o
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 voyager questions

I have a few questions about a 96 voyager I recently bought.

1. The a/c and heater only works on the highest setting. As you can see in the pic, the red wire with brown stripe and brown wire with black stripe are connected to each and electrical taped together. Would this be the reason why?

EDIT: I just found the thread recommending changing the resistor block. My question now is do you think i should leave the wires in the pic alone or replace them.

2. My check engine light is on. I did the diagnostic thing where you hold the trip and reset buttons down and turn the key to acc until the dash says “code” then 999 appears and it runs three tests. It runs its tests but no codes are displayed though. I thought there would be a MIL code that tells me why the check engine light is on or is that not the right test?

3. The van has a stock stereo in it. When you push a button it usually performs another buttons action. The van also has all the Infinty speakers still in it but only the front left dash and rear left tweeter work. Do you think the deck is bad and that’s why all the speakers aren’t working?
The deck is a Chrysler model P04858518. Manufactured by Mitsubishi.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by o0A0o; 09-18-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

High speed is connected to the next lower speed. I would set the wires they way they should be and change the resistor block. High speed bypasses the resistors. Looks like someone was trying to get two speeds. Not going to work that way.

The test you did looks at data bus codes not powertrain codes. Cycle the key from off to on (not start) three times and leave it at on. Now count the flashes of the check engine light. All codes have two digits. There's a slight pause between digits and a longer pause between codes. Should end with code 55. Better yet head to an Autozone or the like. They will read your codes with a scanner for free.

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-18-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:01 PM
o0A0o
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, Cougar41

Quick Reply: 1996 voyager questions