Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

starter

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Caravan Rod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter

Put power direct to starter and it spins, but does not engage with flywheel, is this a two stage operation in a 99 / 00 caravan? Do I just assume to re and re starter althogh it spins?

Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Caravan Rod

No responce? I must not have been clear. To turn the key gets nothing but clicking in the relay junction box. All fuses are fine. When I run power direct from the battery to the main terminal on the starter this causes the starter to spin very well, however, the starter does not engage with the fly wheel. The purpose of this exersize was to test whether the solenoid is pooched, and I suspect it is given direct power makes the starter spin. Yet, why is there no action on the fly wheel, used to be back in the day the bendix was a worm / spline gear that forced the gear outwards and into the flywheel, has this technology changed and if so how does one get the starter gear to engage with the motor?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Caravan Rod

WOW, it's amazing that there is no one here knowlagable enough to answer this basic delema!!!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 AM
kingofwylietx
Professional

I'll throw in a vote for a weak battery. Try jump-starting it to see if it will engage.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Caravan Rod

Thanks oh royal one (king of texas)

This began when the battery was flat from sitting over summer being this is my winter vehicle. Jumped it and no sweat, ran it a few miniuets and put trickle charger on over night, next day no startie. Tryed to jump her again, no startie. My first thought was did the trickle mess something, how can that be??? Must be the soliniod I says to myself!

Today I removed the started and found two large terminals one of which I spoke of earlier in this thread and another next to a thiner wire with a connecting plug. I learned the the terminal I spoke of before if supplyed with power spins it but will not force the gear out, so putting power to the first or other large terminal in line makes it live but the thin wire makes it all work when it gets power.

The thin wire must power the solinoid in turn allowing power to reach the mechanisim, so, the question now is why isn't power reaching the soliniod given I can supply power directly to make it work?

Quick Reply: starter