Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2012 6 speaker no sub to 9 speaker with sub

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 10:27 PM
dusankrag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2012 6 speaker no sub to 9 speaker with sub

Hello! Question for Grand Caravan CREW owners.
I'm driving 2012 Grand Caravan SE (6 speaker system, no subwoofer), and want to upgrade my speakers, and I think only rear ones. I removed the rear one to see what are the specs and it was shocking to see a 6 x 9 speaker that has only 15 watts! So, What kind of speakers do you have in a 9 speaker system? You probably have a rear tweets also? What's the impedance on the rear ones, 4 ohms or 2 ohms. And I bet that the rear speakers are different if there's subwoofer installed or not. So, basicly, the question is, what kind of speakers do you have. Thanks

Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 AM
J Turner
Default Speakers in GC Crew +

Hi, Just got my Crew 2012-I know it has 9 speakers with #4- 6x 9? #4-5 large "tweets" I believe an 8 inch sub lol.

Sounds decent but I do not know if these are the same 500 watt 9 sp w/sub in chargers and other dodges but one would think so.

I am not ready to take the vehicle apart as I am moving at this time.

If you wanted to upgrade from " 6 spkrs "I am sure one could if they have the same size- mounting or empty areas w/grills for the add on's.

15 -25w probably will sound best if you plan to stay with factory head unit/power( efficient match ) otherwise you would under power any aftermarket speaker and may not be able to push them enough with clean signal to produce satisfactory result beyond distortion.

Base models 2011 -12 13/? I am familiar with (as a dealer loaner) have a crappy sounding head unit *at any real volume and so replacing speakers will only make it sound very crappy. Especially when listening to am/fm Radio signal. ....Edit )Please try and let us know what you learn.

bass response and fidelity from CD or I -pod 1/8 jack or USB will sound much better when compared to fuzzy FM signal.

1.The signal (and or pre amp voltage) is the most important in an high end system.

2. Low wattage (very efficient) or free air factory speakers that are matched to the ( dirty) power given.
(***** upgrading the head unit and stock speakers w/ power to matchin a free air application, would sound very good if not very decent indeed.)

3. But for very clean/loud systems you will want to (spker box's) enclose drivers and or port sub ....also match (sealed) mid drivers with the power of any given amp and keep in mind interior (Cu ft) space of vehicle for best result when considering a ported sub add on.)

So I have the MIGIG MEDIA (digital processing) CENTER 430 RBZ 2012 GRAND CARAVAN -CREW-

Does anyone know if the 9 spker sys w/sub is indeed the 500 w Alpine systm or Infinity, amp,spkers?.....I used a high power flash light to see beyond the grill and looks to be pretty basic as in paper and grey in color. (note) Paper is awesome for sound reproduction but higher power auto spkrs tend to be a little more robust these days,made from poly polypropylene or other.( i.e. able to handle more power )

any info ( Re:brands) and or Re spkr upgrades: 6 and 9 :icon_speaker1 :systems for Dodge Caravan or other is appreciated.

Last edited by J Turner; 12-10-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: more detail/info
Old 11-23-2012, 01:17 PM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jturner, much of what you posted is not useful an also very hard to follow. You don't match speakers to an amplifier's output, you make sure the speakers can handle far more than the amp can output so you don't max them out and blow them.

A great set of speakers will make the lowest end radio sound much much better. The source has little to do with it until you get to high end and most people won't be spending thousands on car audio.

Same goes for "digital" sources as all speakers currently in use for audio are analog so there is a digital to analog translation that is done with the output circuits of the audio head unit. Anything connecting with a 1/8" jack will have even lower sound quality due to the loss with that connection. iPods are not audiophile equipment, they don't produce high end sound.

As for porting and so forth, that has little to do with anything expect bass response and you only use ports on speakers that are designed for them. Most speakers are designed for an enclosed area.

I have a made in china head unit in my 02 with Pioneer 3 way 6X9's in the 4 corners and 3 way 5 1/4 indash speakers and it sounds fantastic, far better than my buddies 2011 with the fancy factory setup. I even get more bass than he does with a sub while I have no sub.

You will always be rewarded when upgrading speakers. Upgrading the head unit requires care considerations of the specs or you may go either way. Look for something that has a high db signal to noise ratio, that will give you the best sound.

Any way you look at it, it is very easy to make your sound better than nearly any factory unit as they are almost always a compromise.

PS: The factory audio is most likely cheaply sourced out of China, if it were brand name they would label them as such so they could charge a premium.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:47 PM
J Turner
Smile "Hard to follow" ???

( Edit : New Information )I am sorry that you do not agree that a USB connected or CD/MP3 even stereo signal/I pod jack sounds much better than am am /fm weak or static filled signal most of the time on any given overcast day.

Believe me when I say that the 2012 Carvan CREW MYGIG RBZ Uconnect systems have digital sound processors.( has nothing to do with the speakers.
In fact the cheapest speakers will sound good with a decent head unit. especially a thousand dollar one.

On the other hand, Cheap speakers with a cheap head unit usually result in high distortion across the board,This is what I am speaking toward....."Re:Hard to follow" .....this should be easy to follow. Sorry for the incomplete response before hand.

Also, Distortion from a crappy base model sound source blows stock speakers most often. ....distortion is not always verifiable by human ears that have been hearing distortion for extended period of time/years ... than a clean signal with very little power !

So by upgrading ( all one can do is try )the "six speaker" stock system with alpine or other speakers will likely only handle more distortion if in fact, it is the base model with the Caravan or other vehicle. I am not against upgraded speakers however the engineers at Chrysler Corp know how to best match the low end and higher end power of all of their head units with speakers qualities as a matter of fact.

I will give you this, "Upgrading" a higher end MYGIG or other aftermarket system Alpine or ...with after market speakers will make a difference, how much ?

Also, note:Remember for any new set of speakers, will require a breaking in (of voice coil) period before sounding off at their best possible x so many hours of moderate listening especially for sub woofers.

Finally, you twist "ported" to refer to sealed box mid range drivers. "Hating is bad"

Are you from Canada? I am from U.S.

Have a nice day!

Jaysen www.tridynamic.com

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.”

Last edited by J Turner; 12-10-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: correction of incomplete response...... agree w/upgraded stock speakers

Quick Reply: 2012 6 speaker no sub to 9 speaker with sub