Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Coolent Leak - Manifold. 2008 Grand Caravan Pics attached.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:12 AM
igloo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Coolent Leak - Manifold. 2008 Grand Caravan Pics attached.

Hello,

New to this forum. Hello everyone!

The past few days I have experienced a coolent leak, in the manifold area. Steam rises out from under the hood when the car is stopped, and continues for a few minutes after I turn the car on. It seems like a gasket issue. (note, I am not a mechanic as you will probably deceiver).

This looks like a big big job to me, because getting at this looks tough. Does anyone think if one of those sealers may help that you pour into the coolent reservoir?

I really need some advice, and a way to try and cheap out on this. Or my kids won't eat for a few weeks

I can take more pics if necessary.

Link to photo on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21774706@N05/8070942406/

Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't own a 5th gen van or ever worked on one so I can't get specific. I don't see it in your picture but did you take a close look at the "Y" connector that sits on top of the engine. I've been reading quite a few complaints of it leaking on 5th generation vans.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

i have hard time with photo. can u zoom it out. to me looks like its upside down? well i having hard time even knowing that Area. this engine 3.3l?

Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Andernamen

I developed a coolant leak in the same area, but not as bad. I also had high oil consumption. I changed the intake gasket between the two heads, and it fixed both problems. May want to clean the area and see if you can find where the leak is coming from. I thought mine was a head gasket at first.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:55 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

do NOT use Stop-leak, it will do more damage than it fix in the long run. Unless you plan to get rid of u car next month.
It is just the intake plenum gasket, the parts are less than $25 + coolants, the repair should take less than 2 hrs for someone with experience on car repair. All you have to do is remove the intake manifold.

Quick Reply: Coolent Leak - Manifold. 2008 Grand Caravan Pics attached.