Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Caravan Starter Clicks No start Starter checks ok

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 AM
expo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Caravan Starter Clicks No start Starter checks ok

I have a 2003 Caravan SE. It started having problems starting. When I turn the key I would hear a click that sounds like the starter but it did not rotate. Normally if I turned the key a few times it would finally start. The last time I tried it turned slowly. I thought it was the battery so I replaced it since it was a few years old only that did not fix anything. I pulled the starter and it passed the bench test at Advance Auto parts. You could hear the bearings a little but it passed just fine.

Any help?

Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Measure the voltage at the starter battery feed connection. Should see 12vdc with the keys in your pocket. Now measure voltage at the solenoid connection with the key turned to start. Should see near 12vdc. If it's there change the starter. Starters will often bench test just fine but fail once installed.

You can save some bucks by just changing the solenoid contacts in the starter.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:58 AM
atish
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, actually changing the contacts is far more cheaper, here in Toronto I can not find the contacts so I just cleaned the contacts and the sanded the copper washer on the plunger and it is as good a new.

Try doing this before you change the starter

Old 10-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atish
I had the same problem, actually changing the contacts is far more cheaper, here in Toronto I can not find the contacts so I just cleaned the contacts and the sanded the copper washer on the plunger and it is as good a new.

Try doing this before you change the starter
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html

Quick Reply: 2003 Caravan Starter Clicks No start Starter checks ok