Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2010 grand caravan loss of engine power.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:18 PM
00slevin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 grand caravan loss of engine power.

Hello,

Bare with me as I am a little confused with this problem I am having. I own a 2010 grande caravan and 2 nights ago I was driving it on some of the worst blizzard snow covered roads I have seen in quite a while. We made it home that night, but we unfortunately hit a few deep snowdrifts that snuck up on us and we weren't able to avoid, and hit those snowdrifts between 50 and 60 km/h.

When we got home, under the hood was full of snow. Today we attempted to drive it and we noticed that vehicle doesn't have that much power. We push on the pedal and it takes longer to accelerate and it is difficult to get it up to top speed. I also noticed that the radiator fan is not spinning however it is -15 Celsius and I am not sure if they spin all the time or just when needed.

Does anyone know what would cause this loss of power? The engine sounds fine otherwise.

Thanks for your time

Old 11-10-2012, 06:29 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Snow can be like concrete if it has dirty ice in it. And you never know what else might be hiding in a pile of snow! You could have done damage to a connector underneath or even some wires.

Fans will only run between certain coolant temp ranges and certain AC high side pressure ranges.

Go get it looked over and scanned. If it won't pull very well, you may want to get it towed in case something IS damaged.

Last edited by TNtech; 11-10-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:36 PM
00slevin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. Yeah this was all fresh snow but we did hit it pretty hard. It was a crazy blizzard. And it is a 2008 not 2010. Sorry bout that. I think it may be in a "limp home" mode.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 00slevin
Thank you. Yeah this was all fresh snow but we did hit it pretty hard. It was a crazy blizzard. And it is a 2008 not 2010. Sorry bout that. I think it may be in a "limp home" mode.
Oh ok. Yeah if it is you may have damaged a trans connector or one of the PCM connectors. Get her towed in.

They stuck the PCM (engine and transmission computer) up behind the left front fender in front of the wheel.....incredibly stupid place to put it IMO If you look with a flashlight down behind and under the drivers side headlamp, you may be able to see it.

Last edited by TNtech; 11-10-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 grand caravan loss of engine power.