Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

99 Grand Caravan SE w/3.3L timing cover gasket change

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:45 AM
lanceb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Grand Caravan SE w/3.3L timing cover gasket change

I am about to do a timing cover gasket change on our caravan and I see in bold print in the factory manual DO NOT USE SEALANT ON GASKET. Can anybody tell me why? I usually use RTV when dealing with water components. What's the problem with using it? Or, is there something else I should be using?

Old 11-22-2012, 05:58 AM
grswat
Veteran

I used sealant when I changed it on an 04. Use sparingly so chunks of it don't get inside the motor.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:32 PM
ryan42

Originally Posted by grswat
I used sealant when I changed it on an 04. Use sparingly so chunks of it don't get inside the motor.
In trying to apply a thin layer of sealant, I have found this to be very helpful:

Amazon Amazon
(I think I picked up mine at Autozone, though.)

You can lay the gasket over some cardboard and coat both sides with a thin layer that's enough to hold the gasket to the part during assembly and help seal, but not so much that it goops out the edges when bolting it down.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind the not using a sealant for the gasket, but if over-use/clumps of RTV is the concern, spray sealant might be very helpful.

There might be some other reason though, I don't know.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 PM
lanceb

Thanks for the responses. I used black RTV and so far everything is good. I let the RTV set up overnight before re-filling with antifreeze. Looks like I might have a rear main seal leak. The transmission bell housing has oil in it.

Quick Reply: 99 Grand Caravan SE w/3.3L timing cover gasket change