Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 PM
VolvoT5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Service

HI Everyone, its time for my 60,000 sevice on my 06 Grand Caravan . I called a few stores to get the tranny service and some said I need to get it hook up on the machine and some said just drain fill and filter change. They said, the machine will damage the transmission. Can you please help me out what should I do

Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are pros and cons to each approach.

First off, Trans flushing is NOT part of Chrysler's recommended 60K service. See TSB 26-001-09:

"Chrysler Group vehicle fluid systems do NOT require regular flushing. These systems include: engine oil, transmission oil, axle lube, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and refrigerant. The only exception to this requirement are published in the vehicle maintenance schedules, e.g. engine coolant.

Exceptions to this recommendation include only those instances where a failure has occurred and/or the system has become compromised, contaminated or overheated beyond the normal operating range.

Chrysler Group does NOT recommend aftermarket chemicals to flush the engine, transmission, brake or steering systems. Chemicals contained in these products can damage the system elastomeric components, and contaminate the component fluid, leading to loss of system/component durability and service life. When necessary, only the original approved system fluid should be used to flush these components using teamPSE(R) approved equipment."

However, if flushing is done on schedule, with the right machine and with ATF+4, you'd be ok. The problem with flushing is when you use a machine that pressurizes too much and blows out the converter seal, or one that circulates a solvent through the transmission. Both of those are prohibited by Chrysler. Also, some shops circulate Dexron III through the transmission and then dump in a bottle of friction modifier to mimic ATF+4. That's a huge no-no. ATF+4 is a synthetic fluid. Dexron III is not. The reason shops use it is because it's MUCH cheaper than ATF+4.

The transmission holds almost 10 quarts, but to flush it you need about 15. At $6/qt, the shop is looking at $90 for fluid. It takes about an hour start to finish. So if the shop is charging less than $200, you're most likely not getting ATF+4.

But if you drop the pan and change the filter, you're only draining about 40% of the fluid. So you're not getting a full fluid exchange (although neither does a flush). However, you are getting a new filter.

Anyway, read this post and decide for yourself.

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...-the-right-way

Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 PM
VolvoT5

Thanks I just called a few Dodge dealership in my area. The first one is charging $325. I called another one at $274 and another one at $180. The last one is at $199.95 but they offer engine oil change for $19.95

Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 AM
grswat
Veteran

I'd avoid the power flushing method. I bought my Caravan with a bad transmission and it had been power flushed 2 months before it went out.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:42 PM
VolvoT5

I went to the Dealer and got my Transmisison Service and engine oil and filter. They charge me $220. Not bad. Thats inclusing 21 point inspection.

My wife asked me if I did something to the van because its running smooth

Old 01-10-2013, 12:50 AM
mbrahmer
Rookie

The job is not that bad, just messy. If you do it yourself you can see what condition the fluid is and how much fuzz is on the 2 magnets in the pan. It takes about 5 qts of fluid and a filter/gasket set; should cost you about $60.

Quick Reply: Transmission Service