Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Turn Signal Switch -- Remains ON After Turn?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 PM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Turn Signal Switch -- Remains ON After Turn?!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Caravan SE (3.0L, V6, Auto).

For some time our turn signal switch has had an issue: when we click it up or down (for right or left signal) it will do the job HOWEVER once the wheel straightens you'd expect the switch to automatically click to OFF. It does not. We must always manually pull the turn signal switch back to center to turn off the turn signal.

The turn signal / multifunction switch works fine in every other way; the only issue is it does not automatically click back to center to turn off the turn signal once the steering wheel hits center (the default action). I figured the problem was the switch itself was broken. I purchased a new switch, installed it and IT TOO does not auto click back to center. This tells me the issue is with the steering wheel itself.

Anyone know what i need to take a closer look at?

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably a bad Clock Spring. There is a tab on the Clock spring which un-click the switch when you turn opposite direction.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 PM
quantass
Professional

Originally Posted by steak59
Probably a bad Clock Spring. There is a tab on the Clock spring which un-click the switch when you turn opposite direction.
Ahhh. Looks like i purchased a new multifunction switch for nothing. Is replacing the clockspring a touch task? I'm trying to weigh if all the trouble is worth it.

Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 01:06 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not really, you just have to disconnect battery, remove air bag, and remove steering wheel. Clock spring will be right behind it.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 AM
quantass
Professional

Originally Posted by steak59
Not really, you just have to disconnect battery, remove air bag, and remove steering wheel. Clock spring will be right behind it.
I will give it a go. Thanks steak!

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Switch -- Remains ON After Turn?!