Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'00 caravan trans mismatch

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 PM
bill buttermore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 caravan trans mismatch

Hello all -

A few days ago, I bought a 2000 caravan for the wife with a bad trans. Found a used trans from a 2000 caravan on car-part.com - drove to the yard - brought it home and installed it today. I should have looked more closely at the electrical connectors before I bolted it in - but..... Anyway, the 10-pin connector closest to the wheel well on the old trans had 9 male blades, the replacement trans (supposedly also from a 2000) has 9 round pins. I opened up the old trans to see how difficult it might be to change out that connector - looks like at least the valve body would have to come out. Not sure I want to go there. I asked the yard to double check the build date on the donor vehicle and to cut the connector off for me. He will get back to me..... My build date is January, 2000. Can I just color match the wires from the old female connector to the one from the donor vehicle. Or is this trans gonna have to come back out?

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 PM
mbrahmer
Rookie

Changing the connector is the easiest solution. Get the connector from the yard with enough wire to comfortably splice the new connector into your harness. The wires should be the same color code. You will want to make a good crimp splice and heat shrink the 9 connectors individually.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:03 AM
bill buttermore

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing some checking on line. Looks like the round pin range sensor was used from 93-99 and the flat pins from 98 on. The donor car might have been a 2000, but the trans is probably from something earlier. I'm wondering if the trans will work without setting a list of codes.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 AM
grswat
Veteran

Should work fine.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 AM
bill buttermore

Thanks, Greg.

Quick Reply: '00 caravan trans mismatch