Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Will it fit ? Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:58 PM
carafan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will it fit ? Transmission question

96 Caravan 3.3 4 speed time to replace the transmission oddly enough not because it's dead it has developed a lot of leaks and mileage seems not worth the bother at this point to repair it almost 340 thousand kilometers on it at this point the plan is to rebuild it later down the road.
I have a complete parts van 1999 3.3 4 speed from what i can find out the range sensor may be different as well as the flex plate and maybe the torque convertor ? So it is about as clear as mud at this point this tranny only has about 50 thousand kilometers on it.
I really would prefer to do a swap since the mileage on this one is so low plus the fluid in the old one is brownish and does not smell pretty what am i letting myself in for here ? If the range sensor is different should i should be able to just splice the new one into the harness ? If so does anyone have a pin by pin or even better a color chart of what wire will go where ? Will i have to change the TCM ? Any other gotchas i should be aware of ?
As said i do have the complete donor van so i can scrounge any needed parts off of it as needed .
Any help tips appreciated .

Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 PM
mbrahmer
Rookie

I think the range sensor is the same for the 98, 99 they changed. I'd keep the torque converter with the newer tranny and check the flex plates for any differences. Physically it's the same case, A604/41TE, minor control changes in the TCM.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:06 AM
carafan
Amateur

Originally Posted by mbrahmer
I think the range sensor is the same for the 98, 99 they changed. I'd keep the torque converter with the newer tranny and check the flex plates for any differences. Physically it's the same case, A604/41TE, minor control changes in the TCM.
My understanding is they changed them starting in 99 so depending on the build month you could have the old style problem is i am unsure of the build month of the parts van it is a 99 but i cant get to it until sunday its at my other place right now i know you can buy a splice kit of some sort but would prefer not to bother with that when i can do it myself i just need some guidance on what wire goes where if the connector is different.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:39 PM
carafan
Amateur

Did some more research the parts van the 99 has a build date of 1/99 which means it has the blade type connector the 96 has a build date of 5/96 which means it does have the TRS i did look at it it is the round pins now according to Alldata pin for pin they are the same i will attach a couple of pictures showing the pinouts .
If i am reading this right i should be able to cut off the connector from the 99 and just wire it pin for pin in the 96 harness and all should be well ? I understand the torque convertor/flywheel could be different but i wont know that till i haul it all apart and as i have the complete donor van it wont be an issue. The only other thing i am wondering about is should could ? i replace the tcm ? Use the 99 in the 96 seems like that might be the best move due to year to year improvements ? Also there was a dealer update to the pcm of the 96 the tag shows it was done on may 17 2000 but there are 2 stickers showing updates one shows 05003978ab as a part number and c1521 as a dealer code which i think is a tcm update ?

Last edited by carafan; 12-01-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: broken images

Quick Reply: Will it fit ? Transmission question