Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Remote starter recomandation or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012 | 05:55 PM
gnickner
|
Default Remote starter recomandation or not

Hi, I'm planing to buy a remote starter and want advise on two things before.

*** Grand caravan 2009 ***

first: model to consider and model to not consider.

second: Is it easy to install (manual or step by step instruction - I prefer to install it by my self) or I should make it install.

Thanks for sharing your expérience.

Last edited by gnickner; 12-12-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2012 | 06:41 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

What car do you drive?

Old 12-12-2012 | 10:20 PM
2therock
Veteran

I would highly recommend having it installed by a reputable shop. These guys have experience and have been trained by experienced techs.
There are many aspects to doing a remote start that have to be considered and knowing the nature of the make and model you are working on come with experience. Trust me.
You will have to tear into your dash deeper than you can imagine. You will be routing wires and accessing places you never imagined and trying to figure how in the heck to do it.
The main thing you perhaps should be looking at is the right shop to do the Job. Then if he likes Viper go with that. If he carries Avital go with that. Both have several levels of models from just a remote start to remote start and key-less entry and so on.
I have remote start/alarm systems on both my vehicles. I started out with just remote start/key-less entry and after moving into a bad area I changed them to a higher end remote start & security system.

DEI is the maker you want. They make Viper, Avital and more. I had a basic Avital remote start on them for more than two years and loved them. Firing up the vehicle while in the grocery store checkout line so it would be cooled off or heated according to the time of year will spoil you, just to name one scenario.

I currently have Viper 5704 on them now. The only draw back of the 5704 is the display two way remote has to be charged via a cord. Not often but I still have to keep an eye on it.

G-Luck

Last edited by 2therock; 12-12-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-12-2012 | 11:12 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

2009 Caravan is the year with all the CAN Bus ignition. It is a complicated network. I've seen so many aftermarket remote start system lock out the Factory Theft Security.

On such a new vehicle, I would NOT recommend any aftermarket alarm. Just pay a little more and get a Chrysler Mopar Remote start. Also, Mopar remote start will come with 2 Extra Ignition key, that's alrdy like $300 value. Normally you can get a Dealer to installed It for $500 total.
As 2therock mentioned, new cars nowadays needs some intense modification to install any aftermarket remote start. But Mopar remote start adds no extra wires, it will be a clean install.

Last edited by steak59; 12-12-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2012 | 11:40 PM
2therock
Veteran

Interesting. I hope its got more range than the GM remote starts I have seen. I'm spoiled, I gotta have that 1/2 mile.
If not the Mopar unit, the CANBUS is all the more reason to choose a model and pro wisely.

Quick Reply: Remote starter recomandation or not